BREAKING NEWS –Box Store Challenge Results!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Congratulations to all that participated...they all have made very good effort, and the results speak for it.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks again for getting this all together. Thanks to the judges as well. :D

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Vin for organizing this, to the judges for taking their time to make this possible, and to everyone for making this a fun and pleasant event. First time for me to participate in anything like this.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
we should do a 1 year japanese maple bonsai competition or something like that. with a bit longer timeframe.

I was thinking that maybe we should be more general as in "Deciduous Tree." It's early yet but let's all keep the ideas flowing. Thanks Max!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking that maybe we should be more general as in "Deciduous Tree." It's early yet but let's all keep the ideas flowing. Thanks Max!

While it's nearly impossible to make these competitions a level playing field, I imagine our friends to the north would have a large disadvantage in a year long deciduous challenge.

When I read about the year long maple challenge I distinctly remember reading about Al cutting back his maples for the first of three times before my maples had even pushed their first flush. 8 months of growth vs 4 months for some of us would be a pretty big discrepancy in my humble opinion.

But boxwoods/hollies seem to be available for a large part of the year in every region. I'd like to suggest their use in the next competition.

I'd also like to suggest a "yamadori" kusamono competition where everything used has to be collected from your locale. Maybe the container it is in has to be collected or created as well..

Cheers,
B

Reaction score
Congratulations to all the winners !!!
And thanks Vin for putting on a very successful competition !!!
Thanks as well to the judges !!!

I guess I will have to put up a tutorial on how to style and
Maintain a weeping willow style tree, seeing that from my
Experience, they are about the easiest tree to maintain, any
New growth you want to maintain, you wire down, the rest you
Cut back to the second set of leaves... then just sit back and
Watch the sunset, hopefully with a cold beer.
:cool:

Rose Mary

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Vin for taking this contest on and getting it going so quickly.

I feel your suggestion of a contest and quick follow thru has really made a difference on the tone of bnut and helped pull the site back on track.

It was discouraging for awhile to come to the site with the personal attacks and bickering going on...
So happy bnut is back to bonsai !!
Regards
Rose
saw oregon

Top Bottom