Bricker918’s Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) thread

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I feel like such a cylindrical shape in a square pot is literally a round peg in a square hole. :) Go with the round one.

Wood

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'd move it a smidge to the right as well instead of dead straight in the middle

Sansokuu

Chumono
Reaction score
Nao’s pot, and not because I’m biased being married to the dude - the tree has a soft rounded silhouette in the branching, and imo the size of the Nao pot and its own round silhouette complements the tree very well in a simple, grounding way. The way the tree’s branches flare out, to be met by the lip of the pot makes for a lovely composition. The rectangle on the other hand and its cinched waist feels restrictive and a bit jarring.

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Nao’s pot, and not because I’m biased being married to the dude - the tree has a soft rounded silhouette in the branching, and imo the size of the Nao pot and its own round silhouette complements the tree very well in a simple, grounding way. The way the tree’s branches flare out, to be met by the lip of the pot makes for a lovely composition. The rectangle on the other hand and its cinched waist feels restrictive and a bit jarring.
Couldn’t agree more! Will be reporting in a few weeks.

Thanks for the input!

Bricker918

Mame
Reaction score
Worked with Peter Tea this weekend on this Redwood. After years of trying to chase the foliage closer to the trunk we decided to start the branching over and redesign the whole tree. Ultimatley aiming for a more compact/shorter design. Trimmed the branches back hard trying to force buds at the base of each branch. I plan on fertilizing like crazy and pinching the new growth to the silhouette over the growing season, selecting shoots in the fall. Peter said he used this technique with a redwood shown in the Pacific Bonsai Expo. Went from nubs to show in about 3 years.
Redwood 2 Feb 23.jpg

I wasn't;t able to get this one into Nao's pot unfortunately. The upper root ball was weak (probably from the heat we had this summer) and had very little roots. I trimmed off some roots from the bottom, leaving the top untouched and put it back into the pot it was in, but potted it a bit lower. Hopefully in 2-3 years I can get it into Nao's oval.
Redwood 1 Feb 23.jpg

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
Where did you work with Peter? I do monthly workshops with him and some Midori people.

Top Bottom