Brom style step by step

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello.

Can someone please explain to me how to make a broom style, perhaps a step by step guide.

I read a lot of the broom elm and maple progression threads in here. But i'm still unsure how to do it.

I know that I should place all the branches in a V and put some raffia on. But what to do next?

I hope someone can explain me the progress after making the V in details what I should do with it the next years.

Thank you!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@markyscott has a good one here.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also @Mellow Mullet has a good one

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I already read those threads, and they are great. But as said i'm still unsure how the progress are. Forexempel:
How much to cut first time
How much to cut second time etc.
Should I defoliate
And so on.

I was hoping someone could explain how to make a broom in step by step.

Harry Harrington has made a guide to make informal upright. I'm not saying that someone should make a just as detailed. But just so you know what I mean.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this is exactly where the challenge lays.. Getting enough of a feel for the tree to understand what is needed when. Can you really create a step-by-step manual for growing a bonsai?

Note.. I have been struggling with the same question some 2 years ago: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/new-zelkova-broom.38034/

I see you write "create a V". I have seen that more often. I think you refer to the "end of the trunk" where you cut it. Here I always took the drawings and tried to look in 3D: I think the cut is not a V, but more a dip in the middle of the cut trunk, a depression, allowing the new branches-all around the cut site- to expand inwards more than outwards, reducing the bulge you would expect otherwise.

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Basically what i'm asking is how you get from this:
2020-04-19 11.25.06.png
To this:
2020-04-19 11.26.59.png
Hope someone can explain it to me. Sorry for borrowing the pictures.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I can try but might be wrong also. 2 years into my broom making and it is all guesswork plus plant feel. Does your instinct say what to do?

Anyway, drill a hole in the middleof the trunk to stop the spreading of the callous outwards.

Cut a “V” - Cut a V between two of the secondary trunks. As in you can see the V when looking at your tree horizontally. This is to make the trunks not look like they come from the cut area.

And, yep that’s about all I know.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
And a great thread I found lately (as I can’t figure out how to drop a link on my phone)
is titled - Zelkowa #1 by @Walter Pall.
Basically shows progress over the last 30 years. Recent photos show the creation steps really well.
Charles

HENDO

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Hi,
And a great thread I found lately (as I can’t figure out how to drop a link on my phone)
is titled - Zelkowa #1 by @Walter Pall.
Basically shows progress over the last 30 years. Recent photos show the creation steps really well.
Charles
This is a neat thread thanks for sharing:

Top Bottom