BRT design change?

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No reason to be hasty. But when you see something that detracts from the tree, then it's time to resolve that issue. Mine was in keeping too heavy apex branching. Now I'm happier with the direction. Yours could be fine in that respect, just hard to see. I'm just surmising that this may be the case, as you are saying that there is no strength down low. I think that yours is such a fine trunk, that after you do some trimming, you should open up the view into the canopy so we can see those branch lines. I think that this is a key for this specie, as otherwise, they just look like a big ol mop.
Take your time, will be watching for updates!
Thank you. I know that it needs to be opened up a bit, but to be honest, I'm wimp when it comes to removing perfectly healthy branches. The more I envision a sparser top and fuller bottom my confidence grows to take the next step and remove more branches from the canopy. I'll get there soon. I'll keep you posted.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC00443.JPG
Friend of mine has a nice one....killer trunk like yours..mmm bigger...

inside now and I can't find a pic. try later. I need to get it into a flat..grow out the base.
Trouble is, it goes in the living room for almost EIGHT MONTHS!!!!!

mike sommers

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
View attachment 83444
Friend of mine has a nice one....killer trunk like yours..mmm bigger...

inside now and I can't find a pic. try later. I need to get it into a flat..grow out the base.
Trouble is, it goes in the living room for almost EIGHT MONTHS!!!!!
Beautiful tree! My son, who lives in N.W. Tennessee has a couple BRTs. He brings them indoors for about six months. Surprisingly they do quite well under grow lamps. I'm lucky to live in S.W. Florida where it seldom goes below 35. I bring my trees in when it gets below 45, which is usually only a few times a year.

Top Bottom