BRT germination / seedling growing help

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Please feel free to point me to another thread if it exists. I tried searching but couldn’t find it.

Against most internet advice- I’m starting my bonsai journey trying to germinate seeds and grow my own trees. I love BRTs and have bought some seeds online. First few orders were through an Etsy shop, and second order was through Sheffields (from my research a reputable online seed distributor.

Having SUPER low (<10%) germination rates and just wondering if anyone has any advice.

scarified seeds with a small nail file, let soak in hot water for 24 hours.

ive tried using both a germination heating mat and without one, different soil mixes (currently on 50% coco coir and 50% perlite), shaded and under a grow light, a lot of water / less water. But nothing seems to be the trick.

from information from the seed suppliers, germination rates should be in the 80%-90% range but I’d be happy if I could even get to 50%.

the two seeds specifically that I bought online were: albzia saman (sheffields) & pithecellobium torture (Etsy)

also the ones that have sprouted, once they hit 5 leaves they tend to plateau and not grow much more. Anything to know to get them to continue growing?

thanks

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please feel free to point me to another thread if it exists. I tried searching but couldn’t find it.

Against most internet advice- I’m starting my bonsai journey trying to germinate seeds and grow my own trees. I love BRTs and have bought some seeds online. First few orders were through an Etsy shop, and second order was through Sheffields (from my research a reputable online seed distributor.

Having SUPER low (<10%) germination rates and just wondering if anyone has any advice.

scarified seeds with a small nail file, let soak in hot water for 24 hours.

ive tried using both a germination heating mat and without one, different soil mixes (currently on 50% coco coir and 50% perlite), shaded and under a grow light, a lot of water / less water. But nothing seems to be the trick.

from information from the seed suppliers, germination rates should be in the 80%-90% range but I’d be happy if I could even get to 50%.

the two seeds specifically that I bought online were: albzia saman (sheffields) & pithecellobium torture (Etsy)

also the ones that have sprouted, once they hit 5 leaves they tend to plateau and not grow much more. Anything to know to get them to continue growing?

thanks
The light you are using may not be able to support the tree growth. There are lights that can but there are factors. I’m not extremely knowledgeable but there is more to know when growing a tree past a tiny seedling under artificial light. I have an HLG and it grows certain trees well and others not so much. It grows Japanese maple, juniper, black pine, elm, really well but trident will start to turn purple and stop growth same with mugo pine will hault development. It’s really an in depth subject. But can be dialed in. I don’t know about propagating BRT but I think your light is not providing what the tree needs to continue growth. So even if you get 100% germination they can be dead by springtime or extremely unhealthy on the verge of death. What happens is the trees will succumb to disease or infestation can kill them quick.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I have had a low germination rate but my seeds took a two year trip around the world before I got them! I had no luck with scratching them but did with clipping a bit off with a nail clipper before soaking them. @Clicio suggests starting them in the summer, which is when I had luck with mine. They are inside under lights and fingers crossed, doing very well.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They need lots of warmth. If during the soaking the seeds swelled up and/or got wrinkly, the filing has done its job.

Old seeds germinate less well than fresh seeds.

Dwalls247

Seed
Reaction score
May be a bit late on the post, but I've recently started 4 seeds 2 germinated 2 turned to mush but I had to sand paper them down than soak for a week than sand down a little more and finally got 2 seedlings after a second 3-4 day soak

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I also started about 12 BRT seeds from MySeedTopia on Etsy. I got every single one to germinate in like 4 days. I also live in the tropics so probably much easier here. The ones I planted first are about three inches tall now. Some really small still. The seeds I got were germinating in the water after about 18 hours similar to my acacias. I just recently found those seeds. I’ve been looking for years. I was stoked as hell..

Attachments

• 8CB31AE0-9770-473D-A0BF-FE4AAE5AF1A8.jpeg
    8CB31AE0-9770-473D-A0BF-FE4AAE5AF1A8.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 12

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also started about 12 BRT seeds from MySeedTopia on Etsy. I got every single one to germinate in like 4 days. I also live in the tropics so probably much easier here. The ones I planted first are about three inches tall now. Some really small still. The seeds I got were germinating in the water after about 18 hours similar to my acacias. I just recently found those seeds. I’ve been looking for years. I was stoked as hell..
I'm stoked for you!! Dang awesome. I just layered my BRT after I couldn't find seeds around, but I wish I had 12 seedlings instead of 2 air layers!

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I'm stoked for you!! Dang awesome. I just layered my BRT after I couldn't find seeds around, but I wish I had 12 seedlings instead of 2 air layers!
I didn’t think I’d ever find them ever… I bought 80 seeds 😂😂😂

Top Bottom