bugs

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
damn wasp got me on the foot/ankle & my oversensitive self puffed up. I was mid-way through re-potting a crepe myrtle, which i did manage to finish before retreating inside for benadryl and ale.

Attachments

• Orlando-20110603-00206.jpg
    Orlando-20110603-00206.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 41

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
mat,

Ale, good for what ails ya.

Helps to explain my mild phobia of the insects of the flying, stinging variety. They're really kinda scary. If I go out in a bright colored shirt and those beasties are active, I come inside mutter "Dumb, dumb, your just asking for it."

Soak that foot in some cold water to help reduce the inflammation.

Good luck,
Ray

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Within the last few years, my trees especially around the moss that really grows on a lot of my trees soil, I've been having a lot of bees. They have never bothered me though, they seem to be more interested in sucking up the moisture from the moss than me. I'm not sure if all bees will sting, but it seems that these don't or won't since they do buzz around me when I start watering the soil. They seem pretty complacent and I hope it stays that way. :D

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Bees, wasps, and hornets (including yellow jackets) won't sting you unless you do do something stupid -- like wave your arms and trying to swat thm out of the air or disturb their nests. as in running over a yellow jacket nest with your lawn mower. (Experience!!)

Otherwise, just go about your business of watering trees, pruning, etc. and they'll just buzz around and mind THEIR own business -- which is NOT you.

People who get stung ask for it -- one way or another.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have wasps and bees all over the place in the back around the trees. The wasps won't bother you if you don't start swatting at them and trying to dodge them. The "say nothing, act casual" approach works. I don't spray for them (unless they're building a nest somewhere--as they can get VERY aggressive when that happens). I have found the wasps, in particular, are somewhat beneficial in that they are predators. I've seen them hunt down scale on trees and eat it. The will also and pursue and kill other less beneficial bugs.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to go in my back yard and clean the ground of all the pears that fall from 3 huge trees. The wasps love them and I have to pick them up with one hand and fend off the Angy wasps and hornets with the other. I got stung twice last year. Earlier this summer I went to inspect the inner branches on a tree in training and almost wrapped my hand around a yellow jacket just sitting on the trunk motionless. The little sucker was hiding in ambush waiting for me.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Bees, wasps, and hornets (including yellow jackets) won't sting you unless you do do something stupid -- like wave your arms and trying to swat thm out of the air or disturb their nests. as in running over a yellow jacket nest with your lawn mower. (Experience!!)

Otherwise, just go about your business of watering trees, pruning, etc. and they'll just buzz around and mind THEIR own business -- which is NOT you.

People who get stung ask for it -- one way or another.

I know enough not to mess with them. There are plenty of them in my yard and I'm out there enough that eventually two of us ended up in the same place at the same time. I think I must have stepped near or on him which riled him up. I didn't even notice it until his butt was stuck in my foot. While you guys are right, that in general, they won't mess with you unless you mess with them, sometimes people do get stung who were minding their own business.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Mambee pambees, check out the Japaneese hornets, with 3" wing spans, venom is excruciating.:D

Watched one day as my brother burned his feet, because some A hole dumped charcoal grill on home plate at a little field. As he ran off stomping and spinning stepped onto a yellow jacket nest, he did'nt have a good day at all. My father checked around, nobody would fess up to the grill dumping, smart person.

Top Bottom