Building a wet slab bonsai pot

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I didn't. I should have. I'll try to describe it. I have a foam plug that is all one piece like your rectangle demonstration; it doesn't have the key in the middle, and it isn't in multiple pieces. Before putting the slabs on the plug, I covered all sides of the plug but one with newspaper- the bottom and sides that would have clay on them I covered with newspaper. I then tried numerous times over 5 hours to take the plug out using screws, but it didn't work. Eventually the piece cracked and I destroyed it to conserve the clay. My sides are basically completely vertical.
Shrinkage caused pressure. That’s why his was multi piece with a key. Get the key out then each piece can slide out like one of those wood block sliding puzzles.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I didn't. I should have. I'll try to describe it. I have a foam plug that is all one piece like your rectangle demonstration; it doesn't have the key in the middle, and it isn't in multiple pieces. Before putting the slabs on the plug, I covered all sides of the plug but one with newspaper- the bottom and sides that would have clay on them I covered with newspaper. I then tried numerous times over 5 hours to take the plug out using screws, but it didn't work. Eventually the piece cracked and I destroyed it to conserve the clay. My sides are basically completely vertical.
Try putting a hole in the bottom... could be the vacuum lock. How hard was the clay? Did you tape the paper in the wrong place? Did you try to analyze what made it stick?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Shrinkage caused pressure. That’s why his was multi piece with a key. Get the key out then each piece can slide out like one of those wood block sliding puzzles.
I have many plugs that are not keyed although none have vertical sides. I put a minimum of 5 degree of draft on them. If the clay shrinks too far a keyed plug will stick. There is too much friction to pull the key. As with all process’ in ceramics, timing is important for when to do each step.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I have many plugs that are not keyed although none have vertical sides. I put a minimum of 5 degree of draft on them. If the clay shrinks too far a keyed plug will stick. There is too much friction to pull the key. As with all process’ in ceramics, timing is important for when to do each step.
True. I’m not a potter but I knew that much. That’s why I stopped with my one thought that has been most likely amongst the people I know that are potters. They get into the clays and stuff and I’m lost but I understand shrinking when it dries and molding at least. Lol. Makes sense that it can happen even to the key. I’ll add that to the piles of knowledge I can pull out when needed. Timing is the most important thing!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If at first you don’t succeed.........

So this is the same pot from post #203. When I fired the first one on the rim with wading to support the bottom......well let’s say it blew up real good. Since the foot configuration doesn’t allow for much support the sides tend to sag during the drying process even with the clay supports. So this time it going to dry on the plug. This “was” a one piece plug. @dsvarney99 this pot took 7 hours to form and the plug pulled out without using screws. The plug was cut into quadrants just like a keyed plug, to allow the pot to shrink as it dries upside down. Note that the plug is sitting on newspaper. That allows everything to slide as the pot gets smaller. 07E68EDA-868F-46AF-8E8E-A9928FFE7F74.jpegF95670C4-17C1-41EE-AE4C-F9D1C57914A4.jpeg1694A032-F3A7-41CF-A880-171767835A6A.jpeg339D493D-C3CA-4C64-B22C-05DDA82BEE1E.jpeg

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A

So this is the same pot from post #203. When I fired the first one on the rim with wading to support the bottom......well let’s say it blew up real good. Since the foot configuration doesn’t allow for much support the sides tend to sag during the drying process even with the clay supports. So this time it going to dry on the plug. This “was” a one piece plug. @dsvarney99 this pot took 7 hours to form and the plug pulled out without using screws. The plug was cut into quadrants just like a keyed plug, to allow the pot to shrink as it dries upside down. Note that the plug is sitting on newspaper. That allows everything to slide as the pot gets smaller. View attachment 353816View attachment 353817View attachment 353819View attachment 353820
That’s cool how you can leave the gaps and let it shrink inward. Totally avoids using a key piece

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b

So this is the same pot from post #203. When I fired the first one on the rim with wading to support the bottom......well let’s say it blew up real good. Since the foot configuration doesn’t allow for much support the sides tend to sag during the drying process even with the clay supports. So this time it going to dry on the plug. This “was” a one piece plug. @dsvarney99 this pot took 7 hours to form and the plug pulled out without using screws. The plug was cut into quadrants just like a keyed plug, to allow the pot to shrink as it dries upside down. Note that the plug is sitting on newspaper. That allows everything to slide as the pot gets smaller. View attachment 353816View attachment 353817View attachment 353819View attachment 353820

The feet on this one remind me of the large outdoor planters at the Frank Lloyd Wright Studio in Oak Park IL. There are also similar architectural accents around the museum campus where the Field Museum is in Chicago. Is it "Art Modern"? "Art Deco"? or just art? It doesn't matter, I like this, a very attractive design. Though 7 hours before glazing and firing will not be a cheap pot.

Oh, and if my fellow BNuts were wondering, if you PM ABCarve quickly, sometimes you can get lucky, and become the owner of one of his pots. This one arrived in the middle of our huge snowstorm. I ended up with 14 inches of new snow on top of a base of at least 10 inches. Right now my 3 week accumulation of snow is a hefty 2 or more feet on the ground with drifts. Pot arrived in perfect condition. Thanks David, I love the pot.

IMG_20210217_184115286 (2).jpg IMG_20210217_184055602cropped.jpg

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another pot season is here and have been working at getting my skills and routines back. This years experiments are to see how small this can realistically go ( @Pitoon )
and work with the possibilities of extruding side walls to speed up the process. I’ve ordered an extruder but the supply chain problems seem to have impacted that even though it’s US made.
Getting ready for first bisque and wood fire on Friday.

EDC1EC3A-70C2-4A34-A59F-0F59206C8F50.jpegA1CA7A56-F052-4742-9B1C-F807CDA1A81F.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Another pot season is here and have been working at getting my skills and routines back. This years experiments are to see how small this can realistically go ( @Pitoon )
and work with the possibilities of extruding side walls to speed up the process. I’ve ordered an extruder but the supply chain problems seem to have impacted that even though it’s US made.
Getting ready for first bisque and wood fire on Friday.

View attachment 408316View attachment 408317
I was wondering when you was going to start posting this season's work. Ok, let's see how small I can realistically go as well 😁

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Filling some time waiting for the extruder…..2 more weeks they say. Still have some clean up to do on the smallest ones. The round one should finish at approximately 2.25” ID. Corners become much more difficult at that size. Might have to noodle on that for a while. The smallest took about 45 minutes after the prep and maybe another 45 to trim and clean.

59DD11F8-E865-4C8F-9C14-1703BC286672.jpeg

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Filling some time waiting for the extruder…..2 more weeks they say. Still have some clean up to do on the smallest ones. The round one should finish at approximately 2.25” ID. Corners become much more difficult at that size. Might have to noodle on that for a while. The smallest took about 45 minutes after the prep and maybe another 45 to trim and clean.

View attachment 409846
Very nice! I like that mokko style one. How big is that one?

I've made a few really small ones. I need to finish detailing them and then I'll post pics.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Very nice! I like that mokko style one. How big is that one?

I've made a few really small ones. I need to finish detailing them and then I'll post pics.
Thanks. It should finish around 4” ID. The inside corners are easier to manage. I may try a smaller one.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
New extruder is finally here and my mind is overrun with ideas 😱😱😱. You can actually extrude a 4-1/2” square, round or hexagon pot.
I cut a die this morning. The blanks are 3/4” plastic. Couldn’t try it out cause I’m out of clay 😢😢. Tomorrows project….. get clay!!!!

0BACA89A-DD8A-4026-80CA-A252F8036F78.jpeg

Top Bottom