Building a wet slab bonsai pot

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful work.

If only I had a one inch slot for getting the tree out of the pot. I just had a tree I repotted this year that had been in the pot for 8 years and it had to be broken off the tree. It had just enough recurve to make it impossible to remove. But that is a really nice pot. Love the shape and the attention to detail.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Outstanding tutorial! Not that I ever plan on throwing pots but there are some on the forum that will definitely benefit from your progression instructions.
I purposefully didn't buy a wheel so that I would force myself to hand-build. There are plenty of fabulous potters doing wheel work. I just want to add to the menu of whats available. Your pot was done in a similar fashion only it didn't have to be keyed like this one. As a woodcarver I feel more comfortable working subtractively, which is why I carve the mold. Carving the mold is very similar to carving a daiza.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Beautiful work.

If only I had a one inch slot for getting the tree out of the pot. I just had a tree I repotted this year that had been in the pot for 8 years and it had to be broken off the tree. It had just enough recurve to make it impossible to remove. But that is a really nice pot. Love the shape and the attention to detail.
I go around them with a small circular chain saw on a flexible shaft tool. I know that doesn't help you now.;)

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is this set in a kiln? Or is it air drying?
Actually it has already been once-fired, cone 10 oxidation (see post #1). It air drys in my studio. It's covered with air garbage bag and brought out for a few hour a day. That time increases as the pot become dryer. My conditions allow it to dry totally in about 3 weeks.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would love to see the base part being made. I am not sure what that material looks like or feels like. I found these blocks of foam used to make flower arrangements (the ones you poke the stems into).

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great work!
Awesome progression!

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly is the material you're using? Some type of clay?

Top Bottom