California Juniper finally ready for show

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I bought this collected California Juniper in January 2005 at the Collection North benefit sale at the Lake Merritt garden center in Oakland. In early 2006 Boon grafted some Kishu shimpaku scions onto it for me because the native foliage was really coarse and was also not in a place that made sense for the design of the tree. You can see the two grafts that took in the first photo, they're the small green bits near the large jin.

6867537637_fe7272229d_z.jpg

At the time I lived in San Francisco and the grafts grew very slowly. Three years later they were still not big enough to wire. In April 2010 I moved to SoCal and found that CA junipers really like the heat in SoCal. It grew more in one season than it had in the previous three combined and I was able to wire it in the fall. One more growing season filled out the foliage and I was able to show it this January. Finished height is about 23 inches.

6867536089_9978752783_z.jpg

Cheers,

Eric
Beautiful transformation, wow

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Now that the dust has settled for…almost a decade…I’m wondering if this tree is still in Eric’s collection?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Lovely redesign. Just don’t let some others hear that you had a pro restyle it with you!

IzzyG

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Would be great to see this entered in the 2024 Pacific Bonsai Expo! Thanks for sharing!
You’re welcome! Thanks for entrusting me with the tree!

I was contemplating bringing some trees to the show next year if schedules align. I’ll make sure to bring this one with as well.

Reaction score
Because it's shameful learning from others, especially when they are the best of the best!! Monkey no see, monkey only do!!

In all seriousness, (^ that wasn't), jealousy oftentimes doesn't run that deep for this to be a real-life problem. So letting people who give you shit for working with a pro hear about it is actually a great defense strat, you'll immediately know whom not to let near your trees/in your social circle. Get rid of envious crybabies who only show up to watch you trip and fall with just 1 simple trick! Career whiners will hate you for it!

Top Bottom