California Juniper Semi - Cascade

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I collected this tree in 2010 on what was probably a once in a lifetime trip to Jawbone Canyon in the Mojave with Harry Hirao, Mr. California Juniper. I did the first wiring last fall and put it in the current Jim Gremel pot last spring. Today I did a little carving and applied lime - sulfur.
Now it needs a couple of years to fill out.

Attachments

• 6-30-14 001.jpg
    6-30-14 001.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 132

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow, that is really nice. The pot and the tree are really nice together and the styling is very well done. I really like seeing junipers in there early styled state with minimal foliage.

Rob

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for sharing. That is a great combination, very inspirational.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll bet that was quite a trip. There must have been some wonderful stories shared.
Great pot combo.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an amazing piece of yamadori and I like the way you styled it.

Im going to be the odd-ball here and say I don't think the tree matches the pot very well in that they're both quite chunky. I'd like to see this tree in a longer freeform crescent type pot that is a little more rugged and natural. But i wouldn't say no to tree or pot in my collection:D

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I'll bet that was quite a trip. There must have been some wonderful stories shared.
Great pot combo.

Here's a story for you...
I had been hiking the mountain for 3 or 4 hours and was on my way back to the truck with 2 small trees. I dropped my pack to rest for a minute and check out another tree to dig when down the hill strides 93 year old Harry, carrying two trees. He stopped by me and asked if I was OK and did I want him to carry one of my trees down:eek:. Harry is an amazing, kind, and generous man. He remembers everyone he's met and has a hug for them all. I feel very fortunate to have spent some time with him.

Here's another Harry story...
At the 2012 GSBF convention I was recruited at the last minute to supervise the District Styling Contest where a team from each GSBF district in California compete to style a tree. For some reason, no one from the Southern California district showed up. Harry came by to watch and when he realized his district wasn't represented he jumped in and styled the tree. He soon had a team of eager helpers, all of them bonsai experts themselves, and all happy to be working with Harry.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know there are a million of these stories about the old guys and I love hearing them. Wish there was a book, more about the people than the trees sometimes.
Thanks for giving me a couple.
J

carobone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Agreed. I belong to a local bonsai club where Harry Hirao still attends monthly meeting and sometimes does demo on trees. It's a privilege and honor.

-Vince

Top Bottom