can anyone identify this?? spots on maple leaves

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-30-21.png Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-30-43.png Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-29-45.png Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-29-56.png Well i think veryone loves a good deal. so ill start out with a little info and back story. I bought this red japanese maple last weekend at the local flea market for 25 bucks. Where im from, this size japanese maple is gonna cost you at least 120$. The tree is about 2 feet tall now from the soil to top of the tiny leader. Its about 2 inches thick above the shari. It has a natural shari at the base (not sure how it happened) some people are against stuff like that for deciduous species but I think it gives the tree character. Anyways, being so excited about mygood deal, it didndidn't take me long to look the tree over. Just noticed the nice muscular trunk with subtle movement and taper, with good branch placement. missed these spots on some of the leaves although, I still probably would have bought it anyways! I have no idea what it is and it is only occurring on some of the leaves, not all. Please tell me its not anything too serious! Thanks for reading and looking and thanks in advance for any feedback!!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like a bit of scortch, but since it isnt everywhere, may not be. It doesnt look like a problem to me. I think the tree will get more benefit from the foliage than it would if you were to cut them off.

63pmp

Shohin
Reaction score
I get this from time to time. Haven't exactly pinned it down to anything specific. This looks more like physical damage during leaf development, wind flapping it about while growing, or chewing insect. If every leaf had it I would be more worried.

Just about anything will cause leaf damage to maples. Their like teenage daughters, speak to them wrong and they go crazy.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the input guys! I wasnt really worried about it but I still wanted to get an idea because fortunately I haven't been in the game long enough to see anything too drastic happen to any of my trees in terms of fungus or insect issues. You'd cut em off, Lordy?

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the input guys! I wasnt really worried about it but I still wanted to get an idea because fortunately I haven't been in the game long enough to see anything too drastic happen to any of my trees in terms of fungus or insect issues. You'd cut em off, Lordy?
Negative, I said I think the tree will get more from leaving them on than worrying about what caused the spots and cutting them off. The spots dont look like a systemic problem, as 63pmp pointed out. They were somehow injured, no big deal. Live and let live. When they are ready to be removed due to size or condition, whack em.

benw3790

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Negative, I said I think the tree will get more from leaving them on than worrying about what caused the spots and cutting them off. The spots dont look like a systemic problem, as 63pmp pointed out. They were somehow injured, no big deal. Live and let live. When they are ready to be removed due to size or condition, whack em.
Oh ok I have no idea how I mis read that lol but I let them be! Figured it wasn't anything too serious! Preciate it bud! What do you think about the material? I just cut it flat and left a stub because I don't have a good saw. But I wired a new leader up. I guess later oni will saw that stub off at an angle towards the leader for taper. Anyone else, feel free to chime in as well.

bonsaiBlake

Chumono
Reaction score
Bering sea, AK Orginally from Vancover, wa
I would have to agree with the census. Looks like the wind and sunburn we see on trees out in my area all the time. just make sure its getting enough water. looks like a very happy tree with some good potential, and a heck of a price.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What do you think about the material? I just cut it flat and left a stub because I don't have a good saw. But I wired a new leader up. I guess later oni will saw that stub off at an angle towards the leader for taper. Anyone else, feel free to chime in as well.
I dont generally tell people how I would have done something different than they did, but since you asked...and because I have gone through what you are facing right now with that tree, I might recommend cutting off the trunk to about an inch above the left branch. I think the lack of taper, and the height:girth ratio is more than you may want it to be to end up with a nice looking tree. In other words, too tall, too straight (top), lacking taper. If left with 2 branches I think they would begin to beef up helping the taper get better sooner. But, just my opinion.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I cant do what I want to show my point, so use your imagination. The main trunk would be carved in a year or so to accentuate the taper from the new leader downward to roughly where the first branch would be (currently the branch on the right side)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-30-43.jpb (2).jpg
    Screenshot_2015-05-06-21-30-43.jpb (2).jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom