Can I trunk chop a Juniperus Rigida

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No you cannot. It will die if you remove all foliage in 99.9% percent of the cases (Allowing for the one exception that confirms the rule).

Always leave a reasonable amount of foliage on most non-deciduous confirous species (Yew being a notable exception)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dude just posted that thread with the chopped ground pine that sprouted again.

It always depends.

The odds are never in favor for a Bonsai artist due to previous interaction which that ground pine never encountered.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Except for deciduous ones such as taxodium and ginkgo, right?

btw, do you have any idea just why conifers are this way? Physiological reasons, I mean. It continues to mystify me just what causes this 'sensitivity'.
Just spitballin' here.....but when I think of this question, I think of the general growth habits of Deciduous vs Coniferus.

Deciduous trees seem to grow much faster, in general....both in the root dept and the foliage dept.
Deciduous trees seem to be more susceptible to damage.
Maybe there is a connection there.
Since the outdoor elements can more easily break branches and trunks on deciduous trees, they have developed the ability to bounce back from such stress.

Conifers seen generally slower growing and don't seem to waste energy repairing damaged parts of themselves, instead opting to abandon that area.....deadwood.
And in order to get damaged, circumstances have to be really bad, because the conifers seem more flexible and their foliage is more difficult for the outdoor elements to remove.

So they have not developed the kind of resilience that deciduous trees have.

With all that said, some of the traits seem somewhat paradoxical to me....like, why is a more delicate tree the stronger and faster grower?....and why is the slower grower that doesn't heal itself able to stand there all winter with foliage, like it doesn't even care....

Maybe I'm way out in deep space orbit here... But I have to pass the time while I watch water freeze.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dude just posted that thread with the chopped ground pine that sprouted again.

It always depends. ON THE SPECIES

The odds are never in favor for a Bonsai artist due to previous interaction which that ground pine never encountered.

Sorce

What species was it? Pitch pine can sprout new buds below a chop. Mark Comstock showed my class some he experimented with and had chopped them. They back budded like crazy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
watch water freeze

Oh no!

I think all that information is worth pondering. And dead on. Someone took a spitball to the face.

Deciduous trees seem to grow much faster

Seems to. I think they can't be compared, to be fair to them, except where they should be compared for our purposes.

The difference for me...
Is more like the difference between a mousetrap car built for speed or one built for distance.

In the end, the trees are made of the same things, but competing in different races.

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Just because it works with one species does not mean it will work with another. Assuming so will cause dead trees.
But I thought you were referring to conifers that can take a mean chop....
I'm saying that, yes there are some, but they are the exceptions.

I would not say that just because something works on one tree, do it to all, of course that a recipe for firewood.

If I'm assuming things about my trees nowadays, its to assume that if I do anything else, it will die.....in other words err on the side of caution.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh no!

I think all that information is worth pondering. And dead on. Someone took a spitball to the face.

Seems to. I think they can't be compared, to be fair to them, except where they should be compared for our purposes.

The difference for me...
Is more like the difference between a mousetrap car built for speed or one built for distance.

In the end, the trees are made of the same things, but competing in different races.

Sorce
Apples and oranges, yeah.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Apples and oranges, yeah

Except I'm thru living behind "sayings", that one included.
Its too limiting.

I'd have to know exactly how many seeds each had, and then some, it's deeper than fruit!

For me lately, anything after a saying is kind of a lie. It's not wholly real. It's too influenced by a "known fact". When in reality, sayings are of a time period.

I realized this when realizing how many sayings are about chickens.

Like, people use sayings all the time based on keeping chickens, but then are against keeping chickens.

No one even knows what the bullshit is that comes out of their mouths, they're just saying it.

Flood.

Flood.

Lol! Next!

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its too limiting.

I'd have to know exactly how many seeds each had, and then some, it's deeper than fruit!

For me lately, anything after a saying is kind of a lie. It's not wholly real. It's too influenced by a "known fact". When in reality, sayings are of a time period.

Like, people use sayings all the time based on keeping chickens, but then are against keeping chickens.

No one even knows what the bullshit is that comes out of their mouths, they're just saying it.

Flood.

Flood.

Lol! Next!

Sorce

Ironic comments by the person with the highest post count and the moniker "nonsense rascal"

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Its too limiting.

Flood.

Flood.

Lol! Next!

Sorce
Yeah! That's partly why I love old sayings, their origin stories are always educational and fun.

But, I do get your point. I guess I shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch huh?
Lol!

Top Bottom