Canada plum propagation help

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So what I have here I believe is Canada Plum Prunus Nigra. It is closely related to American wild plum . But is separate species It flowers before the leaves this is a wild tree . I will have to see the leaves to be 100 percent sure . I live in the native range but it will hybridize with other plums. From flower details and the black bark stem details I believe this is pure tree . I’m told they have to found isolated alone like this It’s growing on federal governent controlled park land so collecting is illegal . Collecting fruit and or taking cuttings is perfectly legal Question is how to propagate . Area has flock of wild turkeys looks like they or something ripped all the last fruit from the tree so may be hard to beat them to it . So looking for cutting advice timing ext any one have experience prunus mume cuttings etc . Research says it will come true from seed as long as no other cultivars around . It is prized as such for its cold hardiness as root stock for fruit trees info I have is cuttings after flowers fade but looking for someone with practical experience any thoughts
The University of Saskatchewan ( Saskatoon ) has a propagation farm that supplies licensed nurseries with Prunus Nigra. They also sell from the farm at an annual sale in February I believe. I also understand there is native stock of Prunus Nigra in isolated riverbank areas of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. If you have any contacts in Saskatoon, they could attend the sale and purchase a quantity for you. I believe they were $5 per plant last year.
perhaps you are already aware of this source. Often a good idea to check with research centres. The university of Saskatchewan has done a lot of work on hybridization of fruit trees to adapt them for our climate and are quite renown for their work. To this end they maintain " pure" stock of important native strains to work with.
Just some added information for those interested in the topic.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The University of Saskatchewan ( Saskatoon ) has a propagation farm that supplies licensed nurseries with Prunus Nigra. They also sell from the farm at an annual sale in February I believe. I also understand there is native stock of Prunus Nigra in isolated riverbank areas of Saskatchewan and Manitoba. If you have any contacts in Saskatoon, they could attend the sale and purchase a quantity for you. I believe they were $5 per plant last year.
perhaps you are already aware of this source. Often a good idea to check with research centres. The university of Saskatchewan has done a lot of work on hybridization of fruit trees to adapt them for our climate and are quite renown for their work. To this end they maintain " pure" stock of important native strains to work with.
Thanks frank . I seen info on the research done there . But was not aware . They sell trees . There was also research done . And several cultivars created at the experimental farm . Here in Ottawa . But it was sone time ago . And government agency . A little to much red tape to get info . I’ll keep Saskatchewan in mind . I’m pretty happy with . The source I found I like supporting . Small businesses. . I paid more than 5 a tree. But I believe I’m going to get quality from a family run orchard and there not that far away in Quebec so shipping is pretty good . But I appreciate the info .

Reaction score
The U of Sask plant sale is in June, where did you hear they offer Prunus nigra at the sale, have you found it there in past years? While they may have stock trees of Prunus nigra, the varieties offered are listed as: haskaps, sour cherries, apples, plums, cherry-plums, hazelnut and cranberry.

I have a few small P. nigra trees, hoping to root some softwood cuttings this summer.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The U of Sask plant sale is in June, where did you hear they offer Prunus nigra at the sale, have you found it there in past years? While they may have stock trees of Prunus nigra, the varieties offered are listed as: haskaps, sour cherries, apples, plums, cherry-plums, hazelnut and cranberry.

I have a few small P. nigra trees, hoping to root some softwood cuttings this summer.
A diverse collection. Species include besseyi, salicina, triloba, nigra, nigrella and americana. Click here to view the list.

The plant page you listed simply gives generic offerings from previous years and references the date for 2023. As you read further it clearly indicates that a final list will be available closet to the actual sale date. The availability varies each year. For some it is best to make an inquiry to the research facility. The listing of available strains does not mean they are propagated or available each year. No I have not purchased from them, merely aware that they are a respected source of the species. Also that the plant is native to a few small areas in the province.

Reaction score
Thanks for the list, that's something I hadn't come across on their website. I've emailed with them a few times, looking into becoming one of their propagators for the haskaps and sour cherries. Thinking about making a trip for their sale this year.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the list, that's something I hadn't come across on their website. I've emailed with them a few times, looking into becoming one of their propagators for the haskaps and sour cherries. Thinking about making a trip for their sale this year.
If your interested . I purchased my nigra from . The hardy fruit tree nursery . Near Montreal . They sell and ship bare root seedlings . ( canada only ) they have multiply products . There nigra is sourced from pure wild stock . Primarily sold as the quality . Propagators that they are for fruit bearing hybrids . 25$ a tree 100 $ min . They discounted my trees to 15$ Each plus shipping for ordering 10 trees . A great small business to deal with . Even agreed to select my trees with low buds .

Reaction score
If your interested . I purchased my nigra from . The hardy fruit tree nursery . Near Montreal . They sell and ship bare root seedlings . ( canada only ) they have multiply products . There nigra is sourced from pure wild stock . Primarily sold as the quality . Propagators that they are for fruit bearing hybrids . 25$ a tree 100 $ min . They discounted my trees to 15$ Each plus shipping for ordering 10 trees . A great small business to deal with . Even agreed to select my trees with low buds .
I like those guys and would also recommend ordering from them, and I did order one of their bundles of P. nigra a couple of years back. I found out last summer that deer also enjoy them so I built a deer fence and now patiently waiting for them to regrow. One tree was missed and it had enough growth that I was able to take some scions and planning to graft them onto larger prunus stock this spring and grow out softwood. I've had some luck rooting prunus softwood under mist, even cultivars that you wouldn't usually find on their own roots. About my interest to find more, since it's a seedling stock I would like to get a variety of sources for the genetic diversity.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like those guys and would also recommend ordering from them, and I did order one of their bundles of P. nigra a couple of years back. I found out last summer that deer also enjoy them so I built a deer fence and now patiently waiting for them to regrow. One tree was missed and it had enough growth that I was able to take some scions and planning to graft them onto larger prunus stock this spring and grow out softwood. I've had some luck rooting prunus softwood under mist, even cultivars that you wouldn't usually find on their own roots. About my interest to find more, since it's a seedling stock I would like to get a variety of sources for the genetic diversity.
We will have to stay in touch . I’m also interested in variety . My local reforestation nursery . Also grows nigra but they will not be able to fill my order this year . Having seed germination failure this year . They also have a 4 tree natural grove somewhere nearby . Interestingly there propagation success is low . Compared to American plum . Normally sell 2 gallon potted stock . Will only resort to bare root if they have large amount . ( employee claimed unlikely ) they don’t ship . But nothing is stopping you and I .

Reaction score
We will have to stay in touch . I’m also interested in variety . My local reforestation nursery . Also grows nigra but they will not be able to fill my order this year . Having seed germination failure this year . They also have a 4 tree natural grove somewhere nearby . Interestingly there propagation success is low . Compared to American plum . Normally sell 2 gallon potted stock . Will only resort to bare root if they have large amount . ( employee claimed unlikely ) they don’t ship . But nothing is stopping you and I .
Sure thing, I had some Prunus americana seeds in the fall from a local tree and it gave me something like a couple gallons of plums, maybe 400 seeds.. I sold half and made the rest into a seedbed to grow out for rootstocks, hoping the germination is good. They're fall sown into in a 4x2 ft raised air prune bed with a hardware cloth cage for squirrel protection.. we're in zone 3 Manitoba so I won't expect them to come up until May. Finding Prunus nigra seeds would be great. My experience ordering any prunus seed in Canada is that it's just in short supply, and importing it from US sources is completely restricted. My softwood propagation setup is experimental, trying various methods to force a flush of growth to take cuttings in june. Last year I was able to root several species, but I haven't tried to root American or Canadian wild plum yet. Winter survival rates on my rooted cuttings are to be determined, there's some cautions from message board sources that seedling survival the first winter is better. This year I'm experimenting with quick dip solutions of IBA and NAA, greenhouse forcing and probably overwintering in cold storage. GA-3 is interesting, considering how it will affect hardening off. I wonder if your local reforestation nursery has tried GA-3 on those seeds to improve germination.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sure thing, I had some Prunus americana seeds in the fall from a local tree and it gave me something like a couple gallons of plums, maybe 400 seeds.. I sold half and made the rest into a seedbed to grow out for rootstocks, hoping the germination is good. They're fall sown into in a 4x2 ft raised air prune bed with a hardware cloth cage for squirrel protection.. we're in zone 3 Manitoba so I won't expect them to come up until May. Finding Prunus nigra seeds would be great. My experience ordering any prunus seed in Canada is that it's just in short supply, and importing it from US sources is completely restricted. My softwood propagation setup is experimental, trying various methods to force a flush of growth to take cuttings in june. Last year I was able to root several species, but I haven't tried to root American or Canadian wild plum yet. Winter survival rates on my rooted cuttings are to be determined, there's some cautions from message board sources that seedling survival the first winter is better. This year I'm experimenting with quick dip solutions of IBA and NAA, greenhouse forcing and probably overwintering in cold storage. GA-3 is interesting, considering how it will affect hardening off. I wonder if your local reforestation nursery has tried GA-3 on those seeds to improve germination.
I’m not aware what GA-3 is . Local nursery said they average about 85 % germination with American 20 % with Canada . There last fall sowed seeds All failed for Canada . 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I located a wild tree . What I started this thread with . Along the Ottawa river on NCC land ( national capital commission ) along a bicycle path federal controlled park land . Should have tried cuttings . Was allowing the seeds to mature . And made inquiries into permission to collect it . Was told absolutely no for collection . 2 weeks latter maintenance people chopped it at ground level . Trimming back the brush beside the trail . 🥵🥵🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Still mad about that . It had a 6 inch base that came out of the ground at 45 degree angle then went straight so great lower movement . Planned on planting some American but the wild turkeys 🦃 beat me to the fruit . 😎😎 but American is easy to get.

Reaction score
It's gibberellic acid, you can pick it up on amazon in powder form and dilute it in water. It's a plant hormone that safely accelerates growth and can help seeds with strong dormancy germinate. If I had prunus seed that didn't germinate I would soak them in it, the other method would be to give them another cycle of cold stratification. If that nursery is growing them in greenhouse conditions, and the seeds looked viable with a cut test they could do either of those treatments or both. About your wild tree, I want to say if they cut the tree down and it suckered, there could be some scions until they come back and groom the trail again.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees arrived and potted up
. Very happy 😃 they seem healthy there is 10 pure genetic Canada plums . And 2 hybrid plums . The source is fruit tree nursery in Quebec . The pure CP are cultivated for there best pollinator abilities for orchards . The 2 hybrids . Are ????? From there experimental orchard . So American plum multiple European plums and oriental plums . Pollinated by the bees 🐝. This orchard is specifically used to create new cultivars . So no idea what they will be . So I guess I’ll use this thread to document there development from here

Attachments

• 6324EC38-6E58-4034-AEE2-DB924B7D85B8.jpeg
    6324EC38-6E58-4034-AEE2-DB924B7D85B8.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 08F6CA86-AE00-45D6-993A-12814F60B281.jpeg
    08F6CA86-AE00-45D6-993A-12814F60B281.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 13

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick comparison. Leaf . Canada plum on left . American plum on right . True to info I have researched . You can see the more rounded profile of the Canada and the less pointed tip . Most of my American are more pronounced longer and thin tip . Was going for equal size comparison . I don’t believe the Canada will be smaller leaf . Like the American I have leaf are smaller first year . Increase with heavy fert and water , growing trunks at this stage , there is also leaf margin differences . But that’s more for species ID

Attachments

• 612E6483-2E90-4FBB-AF11-183F1E5A0843.jpeg
    612E6483-2E90-4FBB-AF11-183F1E5A0843.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 9
Top Bottom