Carved Root Stand

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The blasting won't give you a "smooth and rounded" appearance. It will give you the fibrous, kinda muscular appearance of real roots. You can build a small set up with a decent 20+ gallon compressor. You will be limited in the amount of blasting you can do, but for small jobs like that will be enough using a hand held media blaster.
This is good to know!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think even a baking soda blast will make it look like real roots vs sand. Nice job, I am yet to dive into making one of this, but it is on my to-do list for sure.
When SB was mentioned I though crushed walnut shells would be a good media and shouldn't be that abrasive.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When SB was mentioned I though crushed walnut shells would be a good media and shouldn't be that abrasive.
The problem with crushed nutshell is that they will "bounce" against wood, creating dimples instead of weathering away the tissue the way a mild abrasive would. I have used it for removing paint off plastic trim pieces and bumpers. Now there is the new dry ice blasting method... I have seen a lot of good results in auto detailing, but I have no first person experience with it.

FrankBud

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I started this project with my bonsai group and during the heat of the summer when things were slow, we decided to attempt and auxiliary project during the small down time.

One of the group members have a fantastic wood workshop and that was where it all started.

Here is the beginning stages. A solid block was drilled with a wedge cut and plethora of holes o creat reference points for root cavities.
View attachment 408119

The holes were widened and the also curves were softened.View attachment 408120

Some holes were connected to create natural cavities to draw the eye away from circles.
View attachment 408121

Here is where the stand was left off for a few months.View attachment 408122

Picked it up a few months later to remove the base and the residual blocks within the bottom. A few roots broke unfortunately. View attachment 408123

Gave it a few hours today to start a rough sanding to get rid of burrs and jagged stuff.View attachment 408124

Here's the final machine sanding product. Next step is to hand sand it.View attachment 408126

Might actually get to stain it now that I can probably just sit anywhere and hand sand it with some sanding paper wrapped around my finger or chopstick.
Great creativity and carving. Would you mind stating the dimensions? thank you

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did you ever get to post the final finished version?

Top Bottom