Cedrus brevifolia/libani from seed

win320

Mame
Reaction score
So you search for this !
Hope the author still alive
yes :)
I went to London and saw a big Cedar Brevifolia and fascinated by their small needles. I really want to do this project. I really hope @mapleman77 see this and post an update.

Also I am thinking of doing a seedling cutting method on Cedar ( I dont know whether I will be successful but worth a try )

:)
cheers!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-16 at 22.16.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-16 at 22.16.06.jpeg
    151.1 KB · Views: 22

VERMONT USA !!!!

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yes :)
I went to London and saw a big Cedar Brevifolia and fascinated by their small needles. I really want to do this project. I really hope @mapleman77 see this and post an update.

Also I am thinking of doing a seedling cutting method on Cedar ( I dont know whether I will be successful but worth a try )

:)
cheers!
Yeah this is a super nice tree.

Just how to trim a cedar?
How to treat the top of the cedar?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
So MapleMan77 is not seen here since 2007, so asking him for comment might be a stretch lol.
Why not make a new thread with your own endeavours and you will definitely get comments both positive and negative about this species - mega slow growers vs great compact foliage. I read somewhere on here a member bought an established pre-bonsai Atlas Cedar that had been grown in the ground for 16 years, then bonsai pot etc.
Good luck with your Cedars.
Charles

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Yeah this is a super nice tree.

Just how to trim a cedar?
How to treat the top of the cedar?
I have seen few videos of Ryan Neil and I am still learning... so no experience on Cedars at the moment. But I will experiment it soon. I have got 5 seedlings of Atlas Cedar (not Brevifolia) and a long way with ground training of maybe 10 years to get pre-bonsai :) I have a lot of patience ... lol ... I am also looking for a pre-bonsai material ... but let's see.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
So MapleMan77 is not seen here since 2007, so asking him for comment might be a stretch lol.
Why not make a new thread with your own endeavours and you will definitely get comments both positive and negative about this species - mega slow growers vs great compact foliage. I read somewhere on here a member bought an established pre-bonsai Atlas Cedar that had been grown in the ground for 16 years, then bonsai pot etc.
Good luck with your Cedars.
Charles
Thanks. I see... It would have been very helpful... let's hope for the best...
Yes, I have gone through most of the threads on Atlas Cedar... thanks for mentioning that 16 years of ground training, I just read that...

I will begin the process soon and start a new thread..

win320

Mame
Reaction score
I have seen few videos of Ryan Neil and I am still learning... so no experience on Cedars at the moment. But I will experiment it soon. I have got 5 seedlings of Atlas Cedar (not Brevifolia) and a long way with ground training of maybe 10 years to get pre-bonsai :) I have a lot of patience ... lol ... I am also looking for a pre-bonsai material ... but let's see.
so I got 10 germinated and got killed around 7 because they do not like a water-retaining medium at all.

1 I tried the seedling cutting method and with a dome ON, damped off within 2 days, hence they do not like humidity as well.

2 I tried to save by changing it to pure perlite (1 died already)

The last one remaining, let's see how it goes.

Very difficult Atlas cedars in my opinion.....

Top Bottom