Cemetery Junipers (potted)

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So my cemetery contact texted me today about two bushes that had to be removed. Turns out they are junipers that have been in concrete planters for 15 years (my contact remembers them arriving). No idea how they survived. The planters had a single 1" hole in the bottom and roots escaped from one of the plants into the ground. The other appears to not have escaped, but that seems unlikely. I'll know more when I have the time to look at the boot ball (ok, root box). That's about 6 feet tall.
20181016_153500.jpg

I cut out some of the branches leaving about 1/3-1/2 of the "canopy". Here is the root box after I knocked it out of the container.
20181016_155251 (1).jpg

This is just a regular needle juniper I believe, but I did see a branch with mature scale needles on it too.

Any guesses as to the likelihood of survival?

CW

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The foliage looks pretty far out from the trunk. It will take some time to chase that foliage back.

Wish I had a cemetary contact. There are always some really nice trees in cemetaries.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wouldn't get too attached to this tree. That was a pretty substantial "escape" root out the bottom. Most likely the primary source of life for the tree. That said, the tree might fall back on the scanty roots in the container and recover. Hard to tell what might happen though.

Good luck.

FWIW, cemeteries do have some good trees that sometimes have to be moved or removed. Needless to say, permission is a MUST if you value your soul.

I've collected wisteria from a plantation site that has a slave graveyard somewhere on the property--the site's exact location has been lost to history and county records. The caretaker gave me permission to dig only in a limited area as a result. That's the kind of thing you can run up against in cemetery collection...

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keep it Still...it will live.

S

Top Bottom