Change in sun angle.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I just moved into this apt with a primarily north facing open sky balcony with some eastern exposure. Over the summer my balcony was getting some decent sun, 7-8 hours in the brightest parts and about 3-4 in the shadiest parts. The problem now is almost my entire balcony is getting very little sun, maybe 1-2 hours now possibly less. I'm assuming as we get deeper into winter, eventually my entire balcony will receive no sun, something I didn't take into account.

Question: Is this going to be a problem/ be a possible cause for death of my JPM's/ Trident maple? Normally, If I lived in a colder region I wouldn't be worried because they wouldn't have leaves or would be preparing to shed them, but since I live in 10a temps are still in the high 50's/ low 60's here.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I just moved into this apt with a primarily north facing open sky balcony with some eastern exposure. Over the summer my balcony was getting some decent sun, 7-8 hours in the brightest parts and about 3-4 in the shadiest parts. The problem now is almost my entire balcony is getting very little sun, maybe 1-2 hours now possibly less. I'm assuming as we get deeper into winter, eventually my entire balcony will receive no sun, something I didn't take into account.

Question: Is this going to be a problem/ be a possible cause for death of my JPM's/ Trident maple? Normally, If I lived in a colder region I wouldn't be worried because they wouldn't have leaves or would be preparing to shed them, but since I live in 10a temps are still in the high 50's/ low 60's here.
Man that’s a tough one.
Perhaps some supplemental lighting or photography screen reflectors to intensify/concentrate the light for this time of year.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tend to do a lot of observing of trees in "less than favorable" locations and in general, the growth habit doesn't change that much.

I'd assume leaving them acclimate to that light would be better than trying to shift them around during key times of "learning" the environment they are in. Spring and Fall.

This is mostly why I despise the "2 step", or moving things at all.

Their best way to survive the season change is to learn it, yet we move them about, confusing the shit out of them, then wonder why we must spray chemicals on them all year to keep them healthy.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just moved into this apt with a primarily north facing open sky balcony with some eastern exposure. Over the summer my balcony was getting some decent sun, 7-8 hours
That is a bit hard to understand but my location is very different than yours. Facing true north usually means almost no sun and east means morning sun.
But aside from that, you should be fine for winter. Be grateful you have such good sun exposure for the growing season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You should be fine. I built a grow bed 2 years ago for developing trees that gets full sun all day in the summer but I hadn't considered winter. Starting in late October until spring there is no direct sunlight. It's growing about a dozen trees, mostly deciduous, and they've all done great over the last couple years.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally have exact same problem. Over time have built up benches on and up to height of farthest rail edge from building so trees get max possible sun when coming above roof of apartments Spring until Fall(growing season). Pines doing well here😌. Deciduous as well.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Personally have exact same problem. Over time have built up benches on and up to height of farthest rail edge from building so trees get max possible sun when coming above roof of apartments Spring until Fall(growing season). Pines doing well here😌. Deciduous as well.
Haha, you get it! I have my 2 JPM's and 2 hornbeams in the shadier parts closer to the building. My oaks, trident, and chinese elm sit closer to the railing to receive more sun. I was thinking about buying some kind of clip on shelf since the railing is made of square bars, though I haven't really found anything that I'd trust with the weight of a fully watered pot.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You should be fine. I built a grow bed 2 years ago for developing trees that gets full sun all day in the summer but I hadn't considered winter. Starting in late October until spring there is no direct sunlight. It's growing about a dozen trees, mostly deciduous, and they've all done great over the last couple years.
This makes me feel better. I was getting anxious thinking they weren't getting enough light. It's still pretty bright up here, and the building across from us is white/reflective so hopefully that helps bounce some rays back at the gang. Really lucky to be on the top floor with no roof, otherwise I'd have a severely reduced collection right about now.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The JM should go to sleep anyway when the conditions are appropriate. When they start losing leaves, water them less. Welcome the quiet period as necessary to live.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha, you get it! I have my 2 JPM's and 2 hornbeams in the shadier parts closer to the building. My oaks, trident, and chinese elm sit closer to the railing to receive more sun. I was thinking about buying some kind of clip on shelf since the railing is made of square bars, though I haven't really found anything that I'd trust with the weight of a fully watered pot.
HaHa! Make sure is very sturdy/reasonably stable for your trees☺️. In search of material for benches found great building supply that GAVE many large scrap wood blocks(which had offered to pay for), used salvaged boards from Apt complex dumpster, 5 gal buckets, unused big nursery pots, cement blocks accumulated over several years to build up to railing height. Actually cost very little. Construction sites can give great finds. Salvaging very satisfying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom