Chanting I will not break my resolution for 2019 before it even starts

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't know what direction to go with your forsythia except to let it develop in a larger pot and buried deeper. With this quince 、I th in no it could be directed sooner. Maybe it's bc I'm more familiar with them. I think the roots as they are are more interesting. With more time、maybe buried deeper larger pot you could have a very good root system. I'm actually think of doing that with my big exposed root. I dont know why I dont work on it as much as my other quince ? I dont have a place for it yet.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know what direction to go with your forsythia except to let it develop in a larger pot and buried deeper. With this quince 、I th in no it could be directed sooner. Maybe it's bc I'm more familiar with them. I think the roots as they are are more interesting. With more time、maybe buried deeper larger pot you could have a very good root system. I'm actually think of doing that with my big exposed root. I dont know why I dont work on it as much as my other quince ? I dont have a place for it yet.
Well, I know these things need repotted every two years...and a shallower pot once a year. So forsythia has roots similar to willows maybe? Being they produce a lot. They love water I know that from research. I doubt I do anything with it this year. It may not even get a repot. Depends on when it wakes up. It's not acclimated to northern temps. So, I would rather not stress it until it's adapted. Though dormant...it's still a tender tree than one grown here I imagine.

Looking forward to spring...to see that quince. ? thanks for thinking of me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, on a FB group I stumbled upon this dwarf forsythia belonging to one Shelia Becker. (Non-blooming) But, blooms are short lived, this thing is lovely. I am really interested in seeing mine in leaf now to see what it looks like.
image.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So, instead of burying the roots. I ponder wrapping with sphagnum moss instead and wrapping in plastic to encourage roots. Or...use burlap. Thoughts? Just so there is more there to eventually be a stronger base to hold the foliage of the tree.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Contacted seller...his have bloomed already. Was forcing dormancy...but one of the flower buds were swollen and sulking from being to cold in the cold greenhouse. So moved into the sunroom with my tropical. This thing plans on waking up.

Attachments

• 20190215_140329.jpg
    20190215_140329.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 14

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm not generally a big fan of those exposed roots, but I think they're really fitting for this tree. It's going to be really pretty in full bloom.

Top Bottom