Cheap turntable alternative??

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The actual lazy susan mechanism is a $5 part. Use two pieces of plywood and table and you'll be in business cheaply.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220920-122033_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220920-122033_Samsung Internet.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 65

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been looking to get a turntable that doesn't cost an arm or a leg. This seems like a good alternative. The adjustable height seem reasonable if you want to stand up and work on the tree. The surface seems to big enough to set tools on it.
I was looking at lazy Susan but discovered that they have the drawback of not actually being able to hold much weight, but then found this local guy that produces the below, not particularly fancy and adjustment is manual. But i felt it was decent enough starting turn table. Willing to bet someone would be able to make something similar for you as the design is very simple

Attachments

• TT001.jpg
    TT001.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 66

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Barber chair and a milk crate work for me. I've got <$50 in two barber chair bases. Craigslist & FB marketplace have them come up occasionally. The condition of the chair doesn't matter so wait on one in bad shape but with working hydraulic parts.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a couple of these from a ceramic studio that was closing. They were still in the boxes.
One of the pottery supply places sells them new for $179. I just don't remember who.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lots of ideas of affordable turntable. Thank you all!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been looking to get a turntable that doesn't cost an arm or a leg. This seems like a good alternative. The adjustable height seem reasonable if you want to stand up and work on the tree. The surface seems to big enough to set tools on it.

Id be concerned at how much weight that can hold if you were to put a big tree on it.

My first turn table was something like this:
You can get one without wheels if you prefer particularly if the wheels dont lock in place.

That I took the seat off and put a round wood piece I bought from Home Depot or Lowes like this

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Id be concerned at how much weight that can hold if you were to put a big tree on it.

My first turn table was something like this:
You can get one without wheels if you prefer particularly if the wheels dont lock in place.

That I took the seat off and put a round wood piece I bought from Home Depot or Lowes like this
Thanks! I have looked into something like this but have a concern on the max height.... I believe is around 33 in. Would that be a bit low if you want to stand up working on the tree.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you’re ready to spend $170 then get the lazy Susan part above and this;

Seems like max height for this one is only 19.3 in. That seems pretty low if one wants to work on the tree standing up. Did I misread the specs?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks! I have looked into something like this but have a concern on the max height.... I believe is around 33 in. Would that be a bit low if you want to stand up working on the tree.

yes to stand it would be. You might be able to find a taller stool that you could use and do the same thing or you could build a box or platform to put it on.
Id remove the wheels which iirc that is what I did with the one I made. I ended up giving it to a friend after I bought another one I could stand with

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I used an old barstool with the seat removed like this:

View attachment 457603

It will surely hold a person’s weight, say, up to 200lbs I would think.
I built my own wood top - swivels nicely and goes up and down high enough to stand or sit:

View attachment 457604

And look at these! Perfect!

View attachment 457605
I pick the cocktail table because I want to be able to work on tree while sitting down or standing up. The height adjustable seems to allow me to do just that. Also the surface area is big enough to hold tools and wires.

Bucky50

Seedling
Reaction score
Buy this base, it's awesome. Same as what one UK artist is selling as a bonsai work table, but can be purchased at Lowes. Add a top with lazy susan hardware that was already shared, and you are rocking! It even tilts, so trees can be worked at angles.
I’m working on doing this. How do you attach the lazy Suzan piece to the multi-stand?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m working on doing this. How do you attach the lazy Suzan piece to the multi-stand?
There are multiple options, like have a 2×4 with surface of your choice to fix the lazy susan and top surface. Or you can screw a piece of wood directly to the stand, and the base plate of the lazy susan to that.

Top Bottom