Cheap turntable alternative??

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm a welder fabricator at a pharma company so we have all sorts of stainless laying around for scrap so I found a bearing and I tig welded a sheet to either side. So it really low and flat like a lazy suzan. I'm at the beach right now but I'll post pics when I get home unless I find one I took of a tree on it on my phone. But I'd be happy to make more if you guys like it. and getting it all for free I could do them at a very cheap price. Esp to those on here. I love bonsai and I love the community here though I've not posted much, this has been an invaluable resource for me and if I can provide skills I've learned else where to help out then I'd love to!

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Old barber shop chair , and use a metal frame to connect , then find food and glue a floor mat rubber top on it
Old round bar stool that can turn 360

Blksmth88

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok I found a few pics where I was doing something else but you can see the tree turner they are sitting on. Like I said I'll get some that are more detailed when I get back home.

20220826_135825-jpg.497636
20220826_135822-jpg.497637
20221101_073955.jpg

Attachments

• 20220826_135825.jpg
    20220826_135825.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 20220826_135822.jpg
    20220826_135822.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 183

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The actual lazy susan mechanism is a $5 part. Use two pieces of plywood and table and you'll be in business cheaply.

That’s what I did I already had a small round table top.

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
I built mine from old bud functional barber chair (bought used for 50€). Top is round flat heavy base plate from old lamp I found accidentally on scrap yard.
1000012726.jpg
Barber chair had fixed foot so I changed it a screw in cheap furniture wheels like on picture, two of them with breaks so table will not move if I do not want to. Total cost about 70€ and couple hours work.

1000012727.jpg

Bucky50

Seedling
Reaction score
There are multiple options, like have a 2×4 with surface of your choice to fix the lazy susan and top surface. Or you can screw a piece of wood directly to the stand, and the base plate of the lazy susan to that.
Thank you. I bought the Rockwell one and I am working through it now.

gooeytek

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I used 2 old bar stools. One with the original height-adjustable mechanism for when I am sitting, and one that is mounted on a short base that I can bring to my table for when I'm standing.
The old bar stools were free because someone was throwing them out, and the wood cost me about $8.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The actual lazy susan mechanism is a $5 part. Use two pieces of plywood and table and you'll be in business cheaply.

Great idea

actionflies

Sapling
Reaction score
I used an old barstool with the seat removed like this:

View attachment 457603

It will surely hold a person’s weight, say, up to 200lbs I would think.
I built my own wood top - swivels nicely and goes up and down high enough to stand or sit:

View attachment 457604

And look at these! Perfect!

View attachment 457605
I like making a turntable from barstool because they come up higher and I like working while standing and light weight to move around. Downside to barstool is not being able to lock the rotation.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
i use this lazy susan from ikea,..... ok for medium and small trees

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last one I built is below. Purchased the used barber chair on Craigs list $35.00, Built the top out of 2 by 4 so it is 1 1/2 thick. Used a smaller circle underneath to provide extra strength and depth for lag screws to secure the top from underneath. I work with quite a few larger collected trees so the heavier base and thicker top is preferred. 28 inch diameter top for larger pots. IMG_1263.JPG

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I built one recently. I have a little less space, so instead of the barber chair, I went with a “clinic stool”, the kind you might see at a doctors office or a drafting table. The top is 15” walnut cutting board. Height is from 20-28”.
IMG_0812.jpeg
Frank’s picture makes me think I need some oil for mine!

Attachments

• IMG_0813.jpeg
    IMG_0813.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 4

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Frank’s picture makes me think I need some oil for mine!
Only looks that way just after finishing and before using. Multiple coats of wet sanded poly urethane sealer on top of the stain! The regular patina shows up quickly with repeated use. Over time the multiple coat process stands up very well. The group of tops I made for Boon's workshop in 2011 are standing up very well with aged patina well in place. I believe the extra time and effort is well worth it in the end result. Depending on the porosity of the grain in the wood I would apply 10 to 12 separate coats with wet sanding between coats. He has found that a rubber matt top is useful for certain circumstances and rectangular tops can also be useful. Thicker tops allow for tie down securing points underneath for special circumstances.
Some friends keep them outside year round, large garbage bag over the top for rain and snow. Plus metal parts painted with Tremclad and the hydraulic piston maintained with a light coat of oil from time to time. I do recommend they be kept under cover and that the tops be thicker and solid wood. Not a fan of using plywood or MDF.
Prefer red or yellow cedar, 2 inch thick tops. this wood has great strength, lighter in weight and natural moisture resistance.
The heavier " barber style bases" have stronger metal components and better stability for long term use. For lighter use the " salon style" are easier to move around and friendlier to use in house. The trick to moving the heavier units around is to tip them on the side of the base and roll away. Best on concrete or heavy duty flooring such as garage or workshop. They are no fun to lift and carry!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The heavier " barber style bases" have stronger metal components and better stability for long term use. For lighter use the " salon style" are easier to move around and friendlier to use in house. The trick to moving the heavier units around is to tip them on the side of the base and roll away. Best on concrete or heavy duty flooring such as garage or workshop. They are no fun to lift and carry!
As I live in a townhouse with trees on the roof, this is why I opted for the lighter-weight option. Thanks for the details on finishing, I’ll look into doing so on mine.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As I live in a townhouse with trees on the roof, this is why I opted for the lighter-weight option. Thanks for the details on finishing, I’ll look into doing so on mine.
Fully understood. My son had a roof top patio with garden and benches for Bonsai in downtown Vancouver. Weight and stair access was always an important consideration! Space and overall size also, so items that could be left in place had some value. Storage was always at a premium. Having a place to store something did not mean access was convenient. Storage lockers can take a lot of time and organization. Not to mention additional expense in many condominium settings.
Brings to mind the adage " less is more".

Top Bottom