Chicago Hardy Figs?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does anyone have any experience with these?
They're bringing them in at the local Home Depot. They're technically not on sale yet, but I peaked at the display. They're thumb thick saplings individually labeled $10 a piece, and the package says hardy down to USDA zone 5.

I like figs, and would like one anyway, but I'm not sure they'd be worth much for bonsai; big leaves and such. Wouldn't stop me from trying, but I'd like to know still.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
"Chicago fig stems are hardy to 10 F. (-12 C.) and the roots are hardy to -20 F. (-29 C.). In USDA zones 6-7, grow this fig in a protected area, such as against a south-facing wall, and mulch around the roots. Also, consider providing additional cold protection by wrapping the tree. The plant may still show die back during the cold winter but should be protected enough to rebound in the spring"

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I grow them from cuttings off my mother plant every year. I usually sell enough to cover most expenses and then some. I’ve starved 1 or 2 and let a few get root bound. I saw a reduction in size of the leaves. Do they reduce enough? I think that is a personal preference. They are pretty hardy, I still take precautions to protect the roots. I overwinter 1 year old cuttings in an unheated basement. Mother plant is 15 years old in the ground with no protection. I’ve had mother trees die back from the cold and grow from the roots that season.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's what I suspected, much like the hardy hibiscus that are sold around here.
So if I kept it in a pot inside for winter with enough light I could keep it going nonstop, but it's not necessary as long as I keep it sufficiently protected.

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You want to make sure they go dormant and stay dormant. I protect in deep winter, milder temps they go back outdoors.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has done fine unprotected in a nursery pot for 3 winters now. This winter was colder but I am hopeful it will be ok. Super easy to root and leaves reduce well.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Does anyone have any experience with these?
They're bringing them in at the local Home Depot. They're technically not on sale yet, but I peaked at the display. They're thumb thick saplings individually labeled $10 a piece, and the package says hardy down to USDA zone 5.

I like figs, and would like one anyway, but I'm not sure they'd be worth much for bonsai; big leaves and such. Wouldn't stop me from trying, but I'd like to know still.
Those are nice and a good deal

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You want to make sure they go dormant and stay dormant. I protect in deep winter, milder temps they go back outdoors.
Is that saying that they require dormancy like other deciduous, or just make sure they finish dormancy properly if they start?

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any of you all with one of these have pictures? I've been thinking to pick one up for more of a conversation tree. I could grow it in a pot and winter it sheltered if needed.

LiquidSkin

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I've planted them here in zone 5 Maine and neither the tree or roots survived winter

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, I'm not sure who comes up with the zones. They don't really take into account the actual extremes of the climates, just the routine lowest winter temps.
I'm no expert, but it seems they'd have found a more accurate system by now.

But I do believe I'll be keeping this in a pot, and likely wintering inside if I can manage it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good to know that works for these.
I imagine they can go without dormancy, but my inside space is limited.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
They came with everything wrapped in a plastic bag, just the very tips of the branches showing. They were also already pushing buds when I got it yesterday, so I didn't want to wait to plant it.
IMG_20220227_160708_137.jpg
It's staying in my living room window with the tropicals under lights and such until nights are above freezing.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Dont look bad at all, Ficus carica arent very apreciated as bonsai but they can become nice trees, this Fig famous in Spain by Jose Luis Pitarch its one of the best examples, he made it from a cutting
View attachment 422152
Thanks!I feel encouraged.
14 years between those two doesn't seem awful.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I became interested with Ficus carica summer of 2021, and picked up a few cultivars. 'Chicago Hardy' is only hardy with some protection, the locals near me would bend the bush over and bury the whole tree in about a foot of soil for the winter, if they did not have a walled courtyard to plant it in. 'Chicago Hardy' is popular because new branches can come out, fruit and mature fruit in a Chicago growing season (about 100 days), most cultivars need longer growing seasons. If you are wintering the tree indoors, you can grow one of the cultivars known for better flavors or for more dwarf growth habits, because short growing season is not the limiting factor. I have not gotten any of mine to fruit yet, so I have no recommendations. I'm still a growing culinary figs newbie.

Top Bottom