Chinese elm hard prune for dummies

Sean vb

Seedling
Reaction score
So,

I'm quite new to bonsai, I was given a Chinese Elm for Xmas a couple of years ago. I've tried to read up on bits and bobs but still consider myself a stone cold beginner.

My question is I think the tree is getting a bit 'lanky' and I don't want it to grow too tall without filling out lower down. I've read alot about 'hard pruning', just how much can you 'hard prune' and how much could I 'chop off' the top to bring the height down abit, and when is it best to do so, late winter / early spring is what I've read?

Tree is outside for about 9 months of the year, only indoors (South facing window) when it gets colder.

Any and all advice welcome.

Sean.
PXL_20221002_160934086.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elms are one of the best at growing after pruning.
If you prune to leave some leaves on the stems it will grow new shoots from the axils (base of every leaf) close to the chop.
If you prune back to older, bare wood it will usually produce some new buds from the bark but lots more buds in a circle around the exposed cambium where you've chopped. That means you can safely chop anywhere along the trunk or branches. Take it down to a couple of inches from the ground if you need to and it will still grow back.
Even the roots can grow new shoots. We often use pieces of root to start new trees.

Timing for bonsai activities varies according to location. Please add location to your profile so you get correct info for your climate and area.

Sean vb

Seedling
Reaction score
If you prune to leave some leaves on the stems it will grow new shoots from the axils (base of every leaf) close to the chop.
If you prune back to older, bare wood it will usually produce some new buds from the bark but lots more buds in a circle around the exposed cambium where you've chopped. That means you can safely chop anywhere along the trunk or branches. Take it down to a couple of inches from the ground if you need to and it will still grow back.
Even the roots can grow new shoots. We often use pieces of root to start new trees.

Timing for bonsai activities varies according to location. Please add location to your profile so you get correct info for your climate and area.
Hi,

Thanks for the comprehensive response, very helpful.

I'm located in Central England, so generally 20-30celcius in the summer and about -5/-6/-7 celcius in the coldest winter nights, am I best to hard prune late winter / early spring?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
am I best to hard prune late winter / early spring?
Hard prune any time from late winter through to mid summer should give it time to recover before winter.
Min -7C should not be too cold for Chinese elm outside. Mine stay out all winter with min night temps down to -5C. Just because they are small does not make our trees less hardy.

Sean vb

Seedling
Reaction score
Hard prune any time from late winter through to mid summer should give it time to recover before winter.
Min -7C should not be too cold for Chinese elm outside. Mine stay out all winter with min night temps down to -5C. Just because they are small does not make our trees less hardy.
Thanks pal, much appreciated.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B

When you’re trunk chopping Chinese elm do you want to cut straight across if you are looking for back budding? Or is it okay to do an angled chop off the go. I know for maples and other trees performing a straight across chop then wait for die back/ bud pop at the previous node.

However Chinese elms confused me because they bud around the ring. My question is summed up in this picture. What would be the better chop to induce back budding where I want the green stem?

Attachments

• 1DAB0F7B-0229-4FBA-9A87-7E23BB13BCE7.jpeg
    1DAB0F7B-0229-4FBA-9A87-7E23BB13BCE7.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 43
  • 462B6C90-C8C2-446F-BFBE-DC90FE544F8F.jpeg
    462B6C90-C8C2-446F-BFBE-DC90FE544F8F.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 44

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Probably the angled cut will give a better chance of getting that new side branch. You'll just remove all shoots around the cut except for the ones closest to where you want new branches.
Straight across cuts are just because we cannot predict where the new buds will emerge. Then make final chop after we can see what we have. With Chinese elm it is much more likely buds will grow round the cut so you can cut to order. Some new buds likely from the trunk below like other species also.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
When you’re trunk chopping Chinese elm do you want to cut straight across if you are looking for back budding? Or is it okay to do an angled chop off the go. I know for maples and other trees performing a straight across chop then wait for die back/ bud pop at the previous node.

However Chinese elms confused me because they bud around the ring. My question is summed up in this picture. What would be the better chop to induce back budding where I want the green stem?
Don’t throw away that top! There’s a perfectly good tree up there. (Both of you) Cut/remove ring of bark. Then take a small plastic pot and cut down the wall of the pot and leave a hole the size of the trunk in the center so you can get the pot on there. Staple the wall back together and fill it with soil. Water as usual. You could wrap a piece of wire beneath the pot or use a zip tie to keep it from sliding down. They’ll put out roots quick. search term “air layer” on bnut or youtube. Super ez beginner project. 🙂

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Don’t throw away that top! There’s a perfectly good tree up there. (Both of you) Cut/remove ring of bark. Then take a small plastic pot and cut down the wall of the pot and leave a hole the size of the trunk in the center so you can get the pot on there. Staple the wall back together and fill it with soil. Water as usual. You could wrap a piece of wire beneath the pot or use a zip tie to keep it from sliding down. They’ll put out roots quick. search term “air layer” on bnut or youtube. Super ez beginner project. 🙂
I thought about this, but I think I’m just going to try my luck with rooting the top after I cut it off. It’s such a small tree, <7” tall getting a proper layer would be hard. I’m more concerned with getting good buds below.

Top Bottom