Collected azalea that was chopped down last year.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question is what should I hope for, in regards to developing this into a nice looking tree, style extra. I carved out some of the trunk line because it was already dead at those points (probably from the gardeners chop job) and I like the look rather then just lifeless bark (I know %100 it was dead or I would have left it to grow). I’m not sure if I should keep the back branch on the thicker trunk, but I left it for the trees health and recovery. It also fills in the negative space between the tops of the trees.

Attachments

• B71CABCB-EF49-4703-82EF-37413181A004.jpeg
    B71CABCB-EF49-4703-82EF-37413181A004.jpeg
    230.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 107

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Looks a bit like a Kurume, but that could just be because of its distressed state.

I concur with @Eckoffw. Spend this year keeping it alive. Fertilize carefully.

Lots of potential for a free form bonsai clump. Personally I’d leave the old wood as is, and advise not even to attempt more bending or carving at this point. The actual base style is set unless you determine to reduce sections later on down the line.

Count on crafting the growth from here on out by clipping, bending and reducing the new growth over time to give you taper and character. btw: once azalea wood is carved you will have to keep protecting it as azalea wood often just keeps rotting back… that’s why you’ll see some old landscape azaleas with partially hollowed out trunks…. bonsai azalea are not carved often. For this reason it might be to carve things smooth, especially any hollows, to cut down the rough surface area.

The potential there reminds me in some ways of my favorite double clump ever crafted out of Japanese sourced stock by Melvin Goldstein. It’s now located at UM Ann Arbor Bonsai Garden. I know, it’s not the same, but this is to jog you to think outside the box on styling.

Good Luck with your tree!

cheers
DSD sends
6A328177-14BF-4F27-94C1-8746686A09AB.jpeg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have the same pot as the OP, except mine has some dead Norfolk Pines instead of an awesome Azalea. Nice find!

Do you plan on keeping it inside or just till Spring?

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have the same pot as the OP, except mine has some dead Norfolk Pines instead of an awesome Azalea. Nice find!

Do you plan on keeping it inside or just till Spring?
Till spring, I put it outside during the day time when it’s warmer but I keep it inside at nite, just because I recently potted it up and want to give the roots a good chance at recovery.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Looks a bit like a Kurume, but that could just be because of its distressed state.

Lots of potential for a free form bonsai clump. Personally I’d leave the old wood as is, and advise not even to attempt more bending or carving at this point. The actual base style is set unless you determine to reduce sections later on down the line.

Count on crafting the growth from here on out by clipping, bending and reducing the new growth over time to give you taper and character. btw: once azalea wood is carved you will have to keep protecting it as azalea wood often just keeps rotting back… that’s why you’ll see some old landscape azaleas with partially hollowed out trunks…. bonsai azalea are not carved often. For this reason it might be to carve things smooth, especially any hollows, to cut down the rough surface area.

The potential there reminds me in some ways of my favorite double clump ever crafted out of Japanese sourced stock by Melvin Goldstein. It’s now located at UM Ann Arbor Bonsai Garden. I know, it’s not the same, but this is to jog you to think outside the box on styling.

cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 422041
Thank you for the advice, I’m not sure what Coltivare it is at all. I moved into a new house last year and before I got here the old owners had a gardener chop down everything in the front and back yards (idk why they did that tbh), but anyhow it left me with some cool options as far as bonsai goes so I don’t mind in the end.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

cheers
DSD sends
View attachment 422041
Also should I just use lime sulfur for the dead wood, or should I use a clear Wood sealer? Seeing as the wood is so easily rooted away.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a great question.

Normally lime sulfur would be a decent option and perhaps your best bet. I’m going in on to work Thursday, so I’ll ask for options, we use lime sulfur a lot.

If you end up with this as the best choice, you might definitely look into these items.

3M Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6100
3M Cartridge 60923

cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So sorry for the delay @Rianodell !

The recommendation is to use lime sulfur on the azalea deadwood.

Please keep sending updates, I’d love to hear how this project progresses.

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom