Collected Sagebrush (Artemisia Tridentata)

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love what you have done with these! One thing that I notice is that they don't seem to have much nebari. Is that because of the way you collect them? Or because they haven't been in shallow pots for very long? Or maybe the natural growth habit does not include a distinct root flare?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here I was thinking thinking this whole time that these had some size to them, but then that last pic, showing your hand holding the pot, gave me some proper scale.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love what you have done with these! One thing that I notice is that they don't seem to have much nebari. Is that because of the way you collect them? Or because they haven't been in shallow pots for very long? Or maybe the natural growth habit does not include a distinct root flare?
The high desert grit these grow in have minimal root systems, with the biggest being a tap root. Fortunately, there are still quite a few small, but plentiful feeder roots that run along the base. I think with time the roots can increase and give the impression of a proper nebari eventually.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here I was thinking thinking this whole time that these had some size to them, but then that last pic, showing your hand holding the pot, gave me some proper scale.
That one happens to be smaller than all the others. But powerful in its small package. Some are small some are big! I still haven’t found the just right real big one to collect just yet.
IMG_6352.jpeg
IMG_6353.jpeg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
@Hartinez I am so happy to see this thread. My childhood was spent in a very rural area of Southern Colorado (about two hours north of Taos) where we had quite a lot of these. I used to walk for hours (and sometimes ride my motorcycle) on our property. The pinon pine, twisty old junipers, and the sage were my friends. I was at peace by myself there. It's one of the reasons I got into bonsai to begin with. I can still smell them after the rain in my memories. Mind you I have not been back to the Nut House for a few years but in all the years prior nobody had any luck with these so I kind of forgot about ever seeing them as bonsai. I knew the deal with the roots feeding specific branches though and they are not the only species that act like this. Thank you so much for sharing your obvious expertise and the treasures you have found. This wonderful little shrub will forever have a place in my heart.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Hartinez I am so happy to see this thread. My childhood was spent in a very rural area of Southern Colorado (about two hours north of Taos) where we had quite a lot of these. I used to walk for hours (and sometimes ride my motorcycle) on our property. The pinon pine, twisty old junipers, and the sage were my friends. I was at peace by myself there. It's one of the reasons I got into bonsai to begin with. I can still smell them after the rain in my memories. Mind you I have not been back to the Nut House for a few years but in all the years prior nobody had any luck with these so I kind of forgot about ever seeing them as bonsai. I knew the deal with the roots feeding specific branches though and they are not the only species that act like this. Thank you so much for sharing your obvious expertise and the treasures you have found. This wonderful little shrub will forever have a place in my heart.
Glad you’ve enjoyed the images! I just absolutely love the high desert and I truly think is an underrepresented climate in formal bonsai. With as plentiful as Sage are and as successful I’ve been with collection it is so much fun walking the fields looking for the needles in the haystacks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Collected 3 yesterday in Taos. Weather is still quite cool up north. Fully bare rooted and sprayed off the roots present and used screws into the trunk to secure tightly in the pots. I went pretty hard on these, but I have a feeling things will work out just fine.
View attachment 494801View attachment 494802View attachment 494803
with this color foliage, i bet it would look great in a jade green pot

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We gotta talk about a trade or something…
I would def be down Rud. I learned a lot more with my recent collections. 2 of 3 died unfortunately and I have a good idea why. Too late of a collection and too hard of work for the heat Abq was experiencing. Next year should be much better!

Top Bottom