Artemisia Tridentata subsp. Vaseyana "Big Mountain Sagebrush" I collected and trimmed a bit.

GregTJ

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi everyone, new to the forum so I hope this is the right place for this post.

I recently dug this Sagebrush from near my house, you don't see this species used for bonsai very often but it seems like it would work well.

I cut off a bunch of dead crap and pruned it down a bit. Sanded and lime sulfered some existing deadwood, still needs more work in that aspect. Seems to be doing well, no dropped leaves or anything concerning...
Hopefully next year or the year after I can do some root work and get it in a smaller pot!

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    395 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0082.JPG
    IMG_0082.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    302.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    321.8 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0085.JPG
    IMG_0085.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 65

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've seen some cool ones collecting out in the Custer, SD area, but have read they don't do well in containers. I hope your experiment works out!

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Did you have a bit of a tap root to deal with? Is the chicken there to provide the needed organic fertilizer?

GregTJ

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome to the forum. Did you have a bit of a tap root to deal with? Is the chicken there to provide the needed organic fertilizer?
There were two large roots extending out to the left and right of the main trunk that had to be cut but there was no downward taproot. I dug a smaller one which definitely had a taproot but it is doing fine as well. The chicken is for scale :D

Top Bottom