Collected vine maple clump

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice! If you collected this you can't be that far from S. Oregon. The woods are full of these around here.

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice! If you collected this you can't be that far from S. Oregon. The woods are full of these around here.

I'm up in Portland. We have tons around here too. Probably one of the most common trees in the NW. This one really caught my eye though with the smaller leaves, green stems and growth rings.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, I’ve several single VMs, no clumps though. I’ve planted them in anything from Boone’s mix to shovel dug garden soil. Each tree seem to have very long tap roots and very little else. I’m curious, what soil did you choose to start with? Also, what did you find in the way of roots on these lil guys?
Cheers
DSD sends

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice, I’ve several single VMs, no clumps though. I’ve planted them in anything from Boone’s mix to shovel dug garden soil. Each tree seem to have very long tap roots and very little else. I’m curious, what soil did you choose to start with? Also, what did you find in the way of roots on these lil guys?
Cheers
DSD sends
I use 20%pumice, 20% peat, and 60% of an Akadama like soil that I get in a secret location.
The trees do always seem to have a long tap root. That's the challenge with vine maples I guess. It's not finding one but finding the right one. Not much different with these little trees. Except since they are small the roots are too. Only the very largest tree had a developed tap root. But it was still flexible enough to be manipulated into a pot.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! I’ve always heard that there is a Akadama like soil down your ways and high quality pumice too. So far I haven’t got enough brews into any Bonsai Oregonians to get them to reveal the secret locations!
Gonna hack the tap roots back on a couple little VMs this February to see how they respond. So far I’ve pegged them as reliable, yet slow growers.
Best
DSD sends

mudvein

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Very nice clump 👌🏼 I collected a single VM, had a tap root that I cut and only had very few other roots. Planted in pumice and bark for a year and it filled the root pouch with fine roots. Now doing a small ground-layer and an upper air-layer.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really Nice! I just collected a singleton a couple weeks ago. Its hiding out under my bench. Perked up fine over a couple weeks.
Cheers
DSD sends

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My favorite native tree. Your presentation evokes what I see wandering the rivers while fly fishing.

I'm reworking my front yard to remind me of the banks of the Sol Duc river (my restorative place) on the Olympic Peninsula with a large (15') vine maple clump as a central focus. Unfortunately, it's not doing so great in it's second year. Can't figure out why - morning sun, soil chem is OK, etc. They grow on the riverbanks so I didn't think you could overwater one. The non-native river birches, however, are doing amazing...

I recently found several clumps at approximately 4,000' that are growing in a rocky seep that seem extractable. I'll try to collect next year. They look very similar to this but slightly larger trunks.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love Vine Maple. Growing one about 5 years that was small volunteer by parking lot of personal apt complex. You ever visit Michael Hagedorns place? He is fond of these;).

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A little slip pot action right as the buds are breaking. Pot by Ron Heinen.
20210406_132832-jpg.366147

Attachments

• 20210406_132832.jpg
    20210406_132832.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210406_132849.jpg
    20210406_132849.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 9

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Really nice!

Jfyi: We did the Ebihara root technique on at two younger Vine Maples since both seem to have responded really well.

Cheers
DS sends

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In order to fuse the roots of two trees? Did I understand that right?
I was contemplating how to deal with that.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, each was a separate root job. However, I’ve done a clump of three at once.

Just screw down the tree trunks that are big enough to accept a screw to the base. Then arrange the others suitably and wire into place, being sure to arrange the roots radially so they don’t impose on others.

Yet I think your clump begs to be natural and doesn’t need anything like this procedure?

Best
DSD sends

RH-W

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, each was a separate root job. However, I’ve done a clump of three at once.

Just screw down the tree trunks that are big enough to accept a screw to the base. Then arrange the others suitably and wire into place, being sure to arrange the roots radially so they don’t impose on others.

Yet I think your clump begs to be natural and doesn’t need anything like this procedure?

Best
DSD sends
Yeah thats not the way to go here. I'm hoping and assuming over time these trees will fuse or entwine enough to hold the arrangement. I honestly have done basically nothing but put it in a pot. It has the same form as it did when I first saw it. Thats about as natural as it gets.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I’d say you’d have a darn good chance that the roots will hold the whole shouting match together by the end of the year given good drainage and lots of nutrition,

Top Bottom