Collected white oak root question

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
They make good bonsai. But they are slow growers. If you're growing them from seed or seedlings make sure you're under 40 ;)
It's not from seed and I'm under 40 :) The nebari has reversed taper, so I'm ground-layering it atm, It's shooting big(ger) leaves now that I put the wire around the trunk for the ground layer, is that normal?

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Air or ground layering quercus Robur is tricky business. The succes rate isn't that high. Hope yours will work.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not from seed and I'm under 40 :) The nebari has reversed taper, so I'm ground-layering it atm, It's shooting big(ger) leaves now that I put the wire around the trunk for the ground layer, is that normal?
If your getting complete root masses, you're not digging worthwhile oaks. Oak bonsai are grown for their character in their trunks. Saplings under an inch and seedlings aren't worth the time if you're actually going to make a bonsai. If you're using seedlings or young saplings, It will take 20-100 years before the trunk you're growing has any of the characteristics that make an oak bonsai worthwhile. It will take another decade of work to make that tree into a bonsai.

since trunks are the primary focus of oak bonsai, it's more effective (and more sane ;)) to start with something larger with some built-in character.

I know I'll probably get screamed at for pointing that out, but it's a something you might want to consider.

Also Quercus Alba is notorious for producing LARGER leaves in bonsai culture as training proceeds. It's better to start with a species that already has small leaves. Willow oak (quercus phellos) is common in the east and is also pretty shallow rooted and makes excellent bonsai.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Air or ground layering quercus Robur is tricky business. The succes rate isn't that high. Hope yours will work.
I have only put a wire around the trunk and packed extra soil around it (hollow plastic pot on top of the soil with bonsai mix). I wanted to do it the most safe way and maybe wait a year longer before it's ready, should I also make cuts/scars in the cambium above the wire?

Top Bottom