Collecting Hackberry

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I am looking for someone with experience collecting Hackberry. We are collecting some in NE Oregon and I would like to quiz those with experience collecting this species. Thanks! Help appreciated.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Does anyone know how these respond to root pruning at collection? I have a couple on my list for this year, I wanna make sure I don’t kill them collecting them. Also, does anyone know how they take to ground or air layering?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Does anyone know how these respond to root pruning at collection? I have a couple on my list for this year, I wanna make sure I don’t kill them collecting them. Also, does anyone know how they take to ground or air layering?

They should respond well, very much like the elms. In many ways, including vigor, hackberry resemble elms. I had one for a decade, about 2 decades ago. Don't have one now.

C. laevagata is my favorite, as it can have more coarse, textured bark.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
They should respond well, very much like the elms. In many ways, including vigor, hackberry resemble elms. I had one for a decade, about 2 decades ago. Don't have one now.
The three types of trees in my back yard are winged elm, sweet gum and hack berry. I wish you could get them to develop the buttressing in a bonsai pot like this one in my yard has. 😂
58C984BB-1802-41C3-8AF4-B41A1E950B6F.jpeg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The three types of trees in my back yard are winged elm, sweet gum and hack berry. I wish you could get them to develop the buttressing in a bonsai pot like this one in my yard has. 😂
View attachment 473397
Oh man, I bet that one shits all over your house every year. 😆 . They layer easily..

Doogliebop

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yes Leo is correct, much like elms. They were classified in the elm family once upon a time. The difference being in the leaf veining and bark. Very fun native species. Probably of one with most potential.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
View attachment 473397
yeh as Leo said, theyre just like elm or even zelkova, they can produce ultra fine and dense twigging much like zelkova, so the roots are not much different, there are some stunning specimens out of Taiwan.
bonsai_winter_activities-005_large.jpg
Screenshot_20230219_231110_Chrome.jpg

Loads more like this on google

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Oh man, I bet that one shits all over your house every year. 😆 . They layer easily..
Ha ha we had one over our deck at one time. I got tired of cleaning off the black shit so it had to go. This one’s ok where it’s at. It’s good to know they layer quite easily. I’ve noticed that certain ones develop ultra fine twinging naturally, more so than others. Gonna have to set a ton of layers on them this spring.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

C. laevagata is my favorite, as it can have more coarse, textured bark.
I wonder if they can be propagated from root cuttings as well, like elms. I know they will send up suckers off their roots.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To date i have dug up 2, the roots ran for miles without feeders but it didn't matter, they survived. I feel like they tend to grow in places that are harder to collect from, near me anyway...

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know from my limited experience with hackberry (the local common variety at least) is that there are some differences between them and my elm, celtis sinensis and celtis africana seem to require less watering than my elm. And they go into heat dormancy when temperatures get too hot above 30C (90F), but respond well to cuttings/airlayering/root pruning. Never tried root cuttings, might give that a shot at some point

A local guys progression blog of some of his hackberries

Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here are two recently collected Hackberry. I'm pretty excited about the smaller on becoming a very nice tree, but the 4'+ monster with no lower branching I'm not sure what to do with. Maybe Air layer a foot or so below the top after it gets going again. The trunk on the smaller on is 3"+ and the bigger one 4"+-. Input appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5202.jpg
    IMG_5202.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5203.jpg
    IMG_5203.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5207.jpg
    IMG_5207.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 36

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are two recently collected Hackberry. I'm pretty excited about the smaller on becoming a very nice tree, but the 4'+ monster with no lower branching I'm not sure what to do with. Maybe Air layer a foot or so below the top after it gets going again. The trunk on the smaller on is 3"+ and the bigger one 4"+-. Input appreciated. Thanks
Nice finds!

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I found this one last week beside a game trail. Apparently deer like to nibble on their leaves… it does make for an interesting little tree though.169B6E55-7390-40BC-8ACD-0BFCDBF10998.jpegD6A9E44B-3BE1-4915-B9E6-604BC037A494.jpeg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Very nice with great branching! Lucky u. Were you able to get good roots?
They were decent, a few bigger ones and some fines. It had almost no tap root so that’s a plus. Unfortunately there’s not much taper to it, I will probably air layer off the tops next year if it survives.

Top Bottom