Collecting Multiflora Rose

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
Hey all, I plan on collecting a multiflora rose from my parents property in spring. There's a whole bunch of them growing in an old farm field that hasn't actually been farmed in a couple decades. I just wanted to probe the forum to see if anyone else has ever tried working with roses, I havn't been able to find much. This is probably the best example fo a rose bonsai I've found and it's really interesting what the artist did, using mostly exposed roots to make up the "trunk": http://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t13226-a-rose-for-the-ladies
That is supposedly the same species as the ones growing in my field, Rosa multiflora, but it's got to be some cultivar as the wild ones here have white flowers I'm pretty sure. The trunks on some of these bushes are pretty massive as far as roses go. The two pictures are of probably the largest one I've found. All those trunks are one plant but theres one quite large one (on the left in both pictures). Lighter for scale. They're covered with this grey shaggy bark which falls off quite easily, you can see the bark underneath is shades of brown and tan on the largest trunk where I brushed it off. I would need branches to sprout from the old wood for it to work well, not sure how roses fair in that department.

photo_3.jpg photo_4.jpg

Thanks!
-Mike

Last edited:

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I never got them to train well.

I do still look for and want any of Pedro Dots mini-rose, ti, mi, and si.

Dot's mini's are knees and ankles above any other rose.

Cypress

Shohin
Reaction score
I never got them to train well.

I do still look for and want any of Pedro Dots mini-rose, ti, mi, and si.

Dot's mini's are knees and ankles above any other rose.

Thanks for your input! I'll look that species up. Since you've worked with roses to some degree, do you have any knowledge of how readily they bud from old wood?

Top Bottom