Collecting older Junipers

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll start off by saying that Im very new to bonsai. I have a juniper planted outside, not sure of exact type or exactly how old it is, but its grown to be about 5 ft wide and maybe 3 to 4 ft high. The trunk is nice and thick and i really want to try to train this down into a bonsai, I just dont know if its possible. Theres a lot of growth around the outside and top and the inside is all dead. I heard that junipers cant really back bud on old wood, is that true?

Is there anyway to get this cut down and grow as a bonsai? I'm in no hurry to get it out of the ground, so if the best route is doing something like pruning it back over time, i can do that. Also, is this time of year too late to prune it back?

The location where I'm talking about is Florida panhandle area. So its not going to get super cold here anytime soon.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some pictures if it helps.

Attachments

• 2015-06-22 13.39.40.jpg
    2015-06-22 13.39.40.jpg
    492.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 2015-06-22 13.41.28.jpg
    2015-06-22 13.41.28.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 2015-06-22 13.41.56.jpg
    2015-06-22 13.41.56.jpg
    453.5 KB · Views: 81

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think most of our experts will advise you to leave it in the ground until you get more experience. You can start practicing on nursery plants. Welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
I agree with lazylightningny. Find some cheap junipers and practice caring and styling for them first. You can always buy more box store junipers, but you only have one shot at your yard juniper. It has some good potential and will look amazing when you've refined your technique.

It's a bit like trying to learn to drive a honda civic before jumping in a bugatti veyron.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah i dont have any plans to pull this thing out anytime soon. I have about 12 garden center plants now that Im using to learn on and see happens when I do different things to them.

Was more intrested in knowing if theres any steps i need to take now in preperation for getting this thing to backbud. Or if I should even get my hopes up with this juniper if its too big to cut down.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah i dont have any plans to pull this thing out anytime soon. I have about 12 garden center plants now that Im using to learn on and see happens when I do different things to them.

Was more intrested in knowing if theres any steps i need to take now in preperation for getting this thing to backbud. Or if I should even get my hopes up with this juniper if its too big to cut down.
Deff not too big to collect.

To encourage back budding, just cut it back some. Prune back to hard wood, leaving some green on any branches you want to keep and you should get some back budding.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here is a good guideline/bench mark along with working with nursery Junipers. When you get to a point where you can identify the tree and have an idea how to deal with it the time will be approaching for you to harvest it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Theta,
First, welcome to crazy, we'd open our arms to you, but the straight jacket....
Kind of prevents it!

I'd find a branch you don't need, one with foilage back pretty far, and cut back to it. See what happens. And cut every other back a little. Just to get it going.

You can graft branches on low while it's in the ground.

Hell you can cut one big branch off to and see if it buds at the trunk.

After while, you'll get it there.
Please keep us posted!
That a nice trunk!

Sorce

Top Bottom