Conocarpus erectus, Finally Did Some Much Needed Work on this Tree

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I wanted to share and get feedback on my favorite tropical bonsai subject. Here is my Buttonwood (Conocarpus erectus) after a bit of much needed attention. I purchased this tree in March 2006 from a vendor at the annual Leu Gardens plant sale here in Orlando. The tree had all of the shari at the time of purchase and I was told it was a collected specimen. There are some really impressive buttonwood
yamadori down in the FL Keys that are kept prostrate and dwarfed by the trade winds and other harsh environmental conditions. The nicest buttonwood bonsai I have seen all tend to be those that were first sculpted into bonsai by the forces of nature. Like many other Florida native tropical trees, the buttonwood ranges along the coast to north of Tampa on the west coast and to Volusia County on the East Coast and tends to be more shrub-like at the north end of its range due to periodic freeze damage.

My work on this tree over the past 10 years has mainly been routine care, pruning to shape and occasional carving to maintain the surface area of the prominent frontal shari that gives the tree the appearance of age and character. The tree is around 14" in height. I have to admit that the crown itself was probably better from a style standpoint in the first few years I had the tree (the crown was an almost perfect elongated scalene triangle) and is a bit more sparse now due to the loss of a few key branches (two are now the jins you see) and overly aggressive root pruning one time that led to a lot of dieback. After a number of mistakes, I feel I have a good handle on this species from a horticultural standpoint.

In the past few months, I have pruned all new growth to one leaf pair to start rebuilding some ramification. The two lower left branches (now jin) were wired down in February but cracked during styling and completely aborted, despite application of wound sealant around the cracks. I decided to make the best of the lost branches by applying lime sulfur yesterday as I was treating the large shari in the front.

Here are a few key points for those attempting to keep this species as bonsai (or in the garden):
-Conocarpus erectus prefers full sun, and, like almost all species kept in bonsai pots, does not like to dry out.
-The tree is tropical in its requirements and potted individuals can suffer if exposed to temperatures below 45-50F.
-Branches tend to be brittle and usually die if cracked when wiring.
-The hard, rot resistant wood lends itself very well to jin and shari.
-Well cared for specimens are quite vigorous and bud back well.

Despite the speckles of lime sulfur on the rim of the pot, I think this tree is looking much improved since I first posted a photo of it in my trident maple thread a few months ago. Thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated!
20160525_142448.jpg 20160525_142434 (1).jpg

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, not a lot of love for this one I guess.:rolleyes: Maybe I need to get the pot cleaned up and photograph it against a better background?!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The way it stands Miker......
You need to put the bark back on!

I think folks maybe wondering where the AFTER pic is!

Seriously...
I would lose the top.
Pull the remaining foilage mass down as far as possible, and turn the pot so you can see a live vein hit the soil....
A round more shallow pot would help.

Cleaning the pot and a new background isn't going to stop me from wanting to pull it out and club myself in the head with it!:p

But I do think you have something to work with.

Sorce

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you for the input Sorce!

Since day one, the "front" of this tree has hidden the sizeable vein of bark/live wood that runs up the back of the tree. Perhaps it is time to explore the possibility of a new front, showcasing more of this tree's life line. The tree itself does look something like a weapon that a cave man would have wielded against a hungry saber tooth:mad:. Do you think this feature (the bottom bulge) can be framed in such a way that it looks unique and like it belongs?

I had always thought this "literati" style tree was paired with the perfect pot, however, after reading your post, I had an "aha!" moment and agree it would be better suited to a much shorter (possibly rounded) pot. I am forever looking for excuses to purchase new pots, but have not actually purchased one (without a tree in it) for a good 10 years.

Also, though it is not visible in the above photos, there is a new growth just starting to emerge to the right, so this will be an opportunity to extend the area of live foliage much further down. I am not sure I am sold on removing so much of the existing branching, I will have to give it some careful consideration.

The bottom line is, I want to go for a wild weather beaten (yet styled) literati yamadori that resembles many of the naturally dwarfed Conocarpus erectus that grow in areas of the Caribbean. Even if I never manage to turn this tree into a masterpiece, it will always be special to me because of its yamadori origins. I really miss my yamadori pine I collected in Northern Arkansas, even 11 years after its death. I think bringing it to Orlando weakened it over 2.5 years then wet roots finally killed it.

Either way, I need to learn to manage the lime sulfur solution more carefully so I don't get it all over areas of bark adjacent to the jin/shari,uro, etc. (not to mention all over the pot)!

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
It looks weird to go from totally dead to live. Maybe spin it a bit so we can see some live wood. Also make the transition between the livewood and deadwood a bit less... abrupt.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wants to be a juniper - sad because the mature tree is amazing !!!
And features no white wood.
There is also a smaller leaf type, more believable.

Sad, when a tree gets pushed into zonal envy.

See the real thing ----------- a mature buttonwood tree.
The bark is .......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Day
Anthony

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think my buttonwood is dead. This is really disappointing to me, since I have had this tree for almost 11 years now and it clearly had some significant age when I bought it.

I have tried everything to save it, but low humidity, cool temperatures, spider mites and possible root issues have taken their toll. I am currently staying with my parents and they are not big on using central heat. Thus, the roots have probably stayed between 60-70F for almost 4 months now and the light levels less than favorable.

My only other tropical, a 16 year old mame baby jade is doing pretty well though.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Bummer, the loss of a tree that you have put more than a decade of time into is difficult. Everything I've read leads me to think buttonwood does not like cool below 60 F (15 C) for any length of time, a couple weeks max, and damage starts at about 45 F. This is the reason I never tried one. I actually thought your literati style could have worked with a different front.

Only thing to do is pick up at least 3 more trees, to replace the 2 you lost and a spare. Try species that do well in your local landscape, so you don't have to bring them indoors. Yaupon Holly, Bougainvillea, juniper, local pine maybe loblolly, gardenia, sweet box, bald cypress, the list of possibles for Orlando is huge.

Top Bottom