Contorted Japanese Flowering Apricot

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My ume didn't bloom on time this year! Its flower buds have been swelling up slowly but a lot. I hope it will bloom at once.
Bonhe

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should be able to get some fine ones there. Can you photograph the shop??

fredtruck, sorry, I didn't see this reply earlier. I'll go by and ask if I can photograph their shop. I did take a closer look at their trees, however, and discovered that all of them are grafted (the shop keeper says that they find that they don't do well in Tianjin on their own roots). I have since had second thoughts about purchasing one..

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grafting is almost always the case with ume due to flowering issues. Earlier I posted this link to Peter Tea's essay on ume:

http://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/...g-plum-basics/

Some flowering apricots bloom immediately, and some never do. With grafting, nursery owners can create a reliable tree by taking a branch they know flowers and mating it to strong understock.

Erndogy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Ume

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to bonsai and have posted maybe once on here. I'll make formal intro later...
I recently got an ume and it seems to be grafted. Is it generally better to airlayer the tree to get rid of the graft?

Thanks

Ernie

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi all,
I'm pretty new to bonsai and have posted maybe once on here. I'll make formal intro later...
I recently got an ume and it seems to be grafted. Is it generally better to airlayer the tree to get rid of the graft?

Thanks

Ernie
Read Peter Tea's link above. He or someone in that league stated its nearly impossible to layer an ume. I've tried and had no luck even making cuttings (so far). I'd say forgo the idea of layering. Unless the stock is significantly different, it may "grow out" the scar. They're usually not as obvious as some J. Maples or 5-needle pines on black pine stock.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The other thing that you can do is carve the tree to hide the graft. I've done this and it works well, especially with ume as these trees often have lots of deadwood.

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A year ago, an article I wrote called The Development of a Contorted Japanese Flowering Apricot appeared in International Bonsai magazine, 2012/No.1, pp. 26-28. I cover 7 years, from 2005 to 2011, that it took me to develop my tree. Check it out, because I think you'll find some information there that you will find helpful in developing your own ume.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you asked, and I said I would, here are some pictures of the shop:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And a couple weeks ago (sometime after my last post in this thread, and in the same trip during which I took the above photos) I spent about 10 USD and purchased this tree:

attachment.php

... which is currently being kept in a cold room (26 - 50 F) until outside minimum temperatures rise above freezing.

Attachments

• croppedume.jpg
    croppedume.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 113
  • sm201301141145.jpg
    sm201301141145.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 114
  • sm201301141146.jpg
    sm201301141146.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 113
  • smaller-umeshop.jpg
    smaller-umeshop.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113

feeseven

Seed
Reaction score
im not sure if mine is ume. anyone?

View attachment 31207Screen shot 2013-02-21 at 10.35.11 PM.jpgScreen shot 2013-02-21 at 10.35.11 PM.jpg

first of all, i live in southeast asia. no winter. no 4 seasons. just lovely tropical climate. hot and sunny and raining all year round. i bought this plant from local nursery. roughly around USD15. it was blooming like crazy on last february till march 2012..i took many photos of the pretty blooms. i cant upload it here bcoz i lost the files. it does look like the famous japanese apricot/ume and this plant got no smell at all. :( some said/ the fact :THE ume got strong sweet smell ( i read from the internet). but the blooms r very lovely..just like ume. or maybe its ume. i dont know yet.

this year..1st week of february 2013 i can see the flower buds r popping out. so help me..if mine is really the lovely ume? ^_^

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks more like a crabapple than an apricot. Hard to tell from the photo, though. A close up of the leaves would help more.

feeseven

Seed
Reaction score
That looks more like a crabapple than an apricot. Hard to tell from the photo, though. A close up of the leaves would help more.

Screen shot 2013-02-22 at 12.28.30 AM.jpg there u go. is it crabapple?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like the buds on my crabapple. The leaves are similar, too. The flowers are white with, sometimes, a faint flush of pink at the edges.

Don't all malus species' leaves have acute tips? These leaves are rounded (obtuse?) ... It looks like Chaenomoles speciosa or japonica to me...

.. but I may be just confused.

Last edited:

feeseven

Seed
Reaction score
Don't all malus species' leaves have acute tips? These leaves are rounded (obtuse?) ... It looks like Chaenomoles speciosa or japonica to me...

thanks! it really is the chaenomoles speciosa. it has the same flower and characteristics :) i wish i had the ume. :(

feeseven

Seed
Reaction score

Screen shot 2013-02-23 at 8.14.51 PM.jpg

photo captured last year(at last i found my folder!) ..combination of red, white-pinkish and pink flowers. thanks to you ..i know the actual name of this plant. im not sure if this one is the ordinary quince or hybrid. if its hybrid i hope someone can tell me the actual hybrids name of this flowering quince. :) thanks. i gt confused with the exotic ume.

Top Bottom