Cornus Florida (Flowering Dogwood) #1

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thinned this a little to get some better light and air movement. Saw some mite webbing so sprayed with soap and water mixture. Needs a chop back harder next year to the obvious new leader. Also marked for repot.

20230708_135730.jpg
20230708_140241.jpg
20230708_140247.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of the year... repot and growth is the goal next year. I like how its progressing. I cleaned up the soil, weeded, and removed dead leaves.

Some growth data. Between the end of 2021 and the end of this year, the tree has doubled in girth. It is now over 1/2" thick. A repot next year into my growth medium and I expect a massive increase in the next couple years.

20231018_231513.jpg
20231018_231534.jpg
20231018_232446.jpg

Another potential front:
20231018_232519.jpg
20231018_232514.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like the way this tree has progressed.

When you choose the display pot, I would go with a blue, or dark blue glaze. This will make both white flowers pop and nicely contrast with the red fall foliage. To me a red pot would compete with the fall foliage. So blue shades and green shades would best compliment or highlight both your spring color, but also your autumn foliage. It is potentially a gaudy tree, you could go bold in your choice of a blue or green, fairly vivid will work. Though some prefer more subtle tones.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yours is progressing nicely!

I have a couple cornus Kousa going. They are really finicky at least for me. I will never let them grow out because I don’t want to do any major chops to them. I killed a couple larger ones that way. A small one almost died in spring just from a repot and I didn’t even trim roots. Just put it into a ceramic pot. It hardly grew any leaves. Hope this one is a trooper for you.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like the way this tree has progressed.

When you choose the display pot, I would go with a blue, or dark blue glaze. This will make both white flowers pop and nicely contrast with the red fall foliage. To me a red pot would compete with the fall foliage. So blue shades and green shades would best compliment or highlight both your spring color, but also your autumn foliage. It is potentially a gaudy tree, you could go bold in your choice of a blue or green, fairly vivid will work. Though some prefer more subtle tones.
Thanks Leo! Not expecting a nice pot yet for this but id like to get into something a little larger which I can let it run in. Long term, though I think a nice glazed pot blue or even yellow could nicely accentuate the tree. Id like to lean away from green for some reason.

Yours is progressing nicely!

I have a couple cornus Kousa going. They are really finicky at least for me. I will never let them grow out because I don’t want to do any major chops to them. I killed a couple larger ones that way. A small one almost died in spring just from a repot and I didn’t even trim roots. Just put it into a ceramic pot. It hardly grew any leaves. Hope this one is a trooper for you.
I have good success until august when they get the mildew. I think I need to do better with prevention. Ive not had root or repot issues with this tree. I think the aftercare is inportant. They are an understory tree so I try to take that into account in bench position.

Top Bottom