Cornus Officinalis Sourcing?

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
When I lived in Japan in the 90's, I was fortunate enough to be 'loaned' a really nice Sanshuyu (Cornus Officinalis) by a local nursery owner. I returned it and the several other trees I cared for when I came back to the US rather than risk killing them in transit due to quarantine requirements. It was a really nice informal upright that looked similar to the tree in this photo: maillot-bonsai_1-6993.jpg

Maybe a fit of nostalgia for my carefree youth roaming another country but I've been looking to start a new Sanshuyu, also called Cornellian Cherry(?) but I think that might be Cornus Mas and I never knew it as anything other than the Japanese name until recently. Unfortunately, I'm having a very difficult time locating even nursery stock. If anyone has seen it available anywhere, I'd appreciate your passing along the info.

Thanks in advance.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is on the other side of the country, but it looks like Broken Arrow Nursery in CT has some?

and their tree catalog https://d29wjyh4gwfh00.cloudfront.net/pdf/Trees-2021.pdf

They're supposed to start fall shipping later this month so maybe it will be available on their website then or you could give them a call?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Cornus mas is the Cornelian cherry.
Cornus officinalis is a different, but fairly similar species.

Other than the Japanese Sanshuyu blooms a week or two earlier than Cornus mas, the two species are pretty similar, most would not be able to tell the difference.

How was the fruit of Sanshuyu used by the Japanese? Cornus mas is usually grown for its fruit, often used for preserves, jellies, and sometimes dried. Do the Japanese use the fruit of Sanshuyu in a similar manner?

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cornus mas is the Cornelian cherry.
Cornus officinalis is a different, but fairly similar species.

Other than the Japanese Sanshuyu blooms a week or two earlier than Cornus mas, the two species are pretty similar, most would not be able to tell the difference.

How was the fruit of Sanshuyu used by the Japanese? Cornus mas is usually grown for its fruit, often used for preserves, jellies, and sometimes dried. Do the Japanese use the fruit of Sanshuyu in a similar manner?
When I was there, I wasn't aware of the use of the fruit at all. Since I've been researching the internet looking for plant sources, I found that the fruit is very popular for medicinal uses. Lot's of the fruit is for sale on the net and a few places have seeds. Pre-bonsai is non-existent and nursery stock is rare. I'm really just looking for a landscape tree that I can hopefully use as a propagation source. Of the bonsai I had to leave, I miss the Sanshuyu and a really nice Fuji (wisteria floribunda) the most.

Thanks all. I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is on the other side of the country, but it looks like Broken Arrow Nursery in CT has some?

and their tree catalog https://d29wjyh4gwfh00.cloudfront.net/pdf/Trees-2021.pdf

They're supposed to start fall shipping later this month so maybe it will be available on their website then or you could give them a call?
Thanks, definitely going to reach out them!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You must have been standing real still!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Try Whitman farms. The owner, Lucille, has tons of different types of dogwoods. She will very likely have the Cornus Mas but might have even the one you are looking for. You have to call her, she is old school. You can tell it is for bonsai and what you want and she will look. They are outside of Portland and the operation is pretty massive. Website is below but rarely updated. She is my go-to if I need flowering or fruiting trees. Tons of maples too.

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Try Whitman farms. The owner, Lucille, has tons of different types of dogwoods. She will very likely have the Cornus Mas but might have even the one you are looking for. You have to call her, she is old school. You can tell it is for bonsai and what you want and she will look. They are outside of Portland and the operation is pretty massive. Website is below but rarely updated. She is my go-to if I need flowering or fruiting trees. Tons of maples too.

Much appreciated. I was just looking for a reason to get down to Portland!

Top Bottom