Cornus kousa chinensis

BuckeyeOne

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Has anyone attempted a Dogwood and what would you recommend?
I have a beautiful landscape specimen and would like to try one as bonsai.
Suggestions?

JonW

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had one for a few years and sold it this summer when I decided to sell my bonsai with larger leaves (and consequently needed to be larger trees) since my space is limited.

I really like the flowers and mottled bark, but it wasn't my favorite bonsai material. The growth was slower than other deciduous material I've work on. Not that I was refining the tree, but I didn't get the impression the leaves would reduce well, and they are pretty big to begin with. The internodes were also fairly long, and the buds didn't always reliably live and grow after pruning. Since the internodes were long, I'd want to prune back to 1 node (with 2 buds). If one bud dies, you just don't get ramification, but if both buds die, you end up with dieback or losing the branch. I'm sure if I would have kept at it, I'd learn the habit of the species better. I almost planted it in-ground, but my municipality actually planted a dogwood on my property this fall, so I let it go cheaply to someone who was buying some other trees from me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I have seen some good ones, and I've had a few pieces of growing stock over the years. They can be nice but growth habits are tough to work with.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think their is a variety that has smaller blooms and leaves. I have four native ones to Florida. I pretty much am thinking of just trying to do a larger scale bonsai. Like 3 to 4ft tall. One I am shaping and plan to just plant in ground and just maintain a nice look.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm doing one, but this is pretty early in the game. I had a Littleleaf Linden years ago and got rid of it when it lost the lower right branch one winter. Stupid move, anyone with brains would have jined the branch and made it a feature, and probably did, but unfortunately not me. I like the way it presented leaves in a vertical droop that made up for the larger leaves. The Dogwood presents leaves the same way and found this one Collected last September. which has the same architecture of straight trunk and flat branches and I'm going to stick with that form and try to duplicate the presentation of the LLL. This tree was about 30" tall...
Little Leaf Linden Tilia cordata, Bill Struhar, 409.JPG

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have one in development. Couldn’t find many examples of Kousa so I’m happy to see a few so far.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not bad for a 'Tater! It must be pretty old. History? Please re-post thru the year.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Not bad for a 'Tater! It must be pretty old. History? Please re-post thru the year.
I have no idea on age. It was a B+B nursery tree so I doubt it’s very old. Here is the progression post:

Top Bottom