cotoanester dormancy experiment

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am in the process of an experiment with wintering a cotoneaster 'microphyllus' in the refrigerator, Its been 5 weeks and it looks promising. Watering once a week and keeping the temp around 32 d F.

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_3701-1.JPG
    IMG_3701-1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 112

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Eric,
Does the light stay on when you close the door?
Chris

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The plant is not dormant.

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
chris, the light turns off when the fridge is close.

rockm, got a question, why do you think the plant is not dormant? i thought that cotoneaster 'microphyllus' an evergreen? i also checked the pot and it looks like its a little frozen. i have read that if the temp hovers around freezing, plants don't photosynthesize, but im no expert. its in the refrigerator exactly six weeks now, still looks like how it was when i put it in. i was thinking of pulling it out in january hoping that it would satisfy its dormancy requirement.

eric

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eric if you take it out in Jan., then you are going to need spring in the house , how do you plan to bring it back up to speed??

Not sure on light requirements, but an early riser will need to contend with less than good growing conditions in the house. Question, why did you try this, I'm guessing apartment w/ no acess to a yard for overwintering??

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eric if you take it out in Jan., then you are going to need spring in the house , how do you plan to bring it back up to speed??

Not sure on light requirements, but an early riser will need to contend with less than good growing conditions in the house. Question, why did you try this, I'm guessing apartment w/ no acess to a yard for overwintering??

High rise living in the city Bill. This is my only deciduous tree. The reason i am pulling it out of refrigeration after 8 weeks is because i know that refrigeration is not in any way ideal on giving a tree its dormancy requirements. as i have mention, its an experiment. i will just put it at my growing area with the rest of my tropicals till spring.

wish me luck;)
eric

Top Bottom