Could this boxwood be pruned back for back budding?

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Trying to decide whether I want to bid on it at this auction I'm at. Seems a bit leggyPXL_20210612_151844830.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good call

My first question when looking to purchase "Bonsai" material is, "can I get this better for cheaper from a regular nursery?"

The only time the answer was no, and the tree survived my climate and care, was my shimpaku.

Other "no's" were "special" things that are ultimately, as welcome in my collection as they are alive. Not.

Of course, that's not to say I won't buy some shit sometimes to help a cause, a raffle or what have you.

A lot of people think their time is worth money, it is up to us to recognize it isn't. Clue ourselves in before taking cues from the clueless.

Sorce

Agriff

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
My first question when looking to purchase "Bonsai" material is, "can I get this better for cheaper from a regular nursery?"

The only time the answer was no, and the tree survived my climate and care, was my shimpaku.

Other "no's" were "special" things that are ultimately, as welcome in my collection as they are alive. Not.

Of course, that's not to say I won't buy some shit sometimes to help a cause, a raffle or what have you.

A lot of people think their time is worth money, it is up to us to recognize it isn't. Clue ourselves in before taking cues from the clueless.

Sorce
This is where experience is really handy. With species like these it's hard for someone like me to make a call, because I wasn't sure if, for example, the thickness of the trunk was worth the patience it takes to back bud.

So the simple answer is that I wasn't sure if I could get it for cheaper at a nursery!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In bonsai material you're looking for at least a base and trunk that you're unlikely to find in nursery material. Or a bargain price. Or both. Then recognize that someone has worked the roots already and that might save you a year in development. I disagree with Sorce about time and money. I will spend money to save time developing material at this stage of my life. Others may choose differently.

As to your direct question, I wouldn't cut a boxwood back past the last green on each branch. They may back bud on bare wood, but they may not. Leave a few leaves and you're likely to get enthusiastic budding.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with @sorce.
There are a gazillion of that tree in nurseries everywhere and many with much better attributes. Boxwoods are tough, don’t take much to get one into good soil. I’ve bare rooted many in summer and never lost one...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
worked the roots already

Trying not to sound dickish....

For me, the old nursery colored mess around the center is a clue the roots weren't in fact worked, though I understand how someone who does good work can make the assumption.

The location of tie wires indicates the roots may have all been cut off, without the care to even clean the base of stuff that will wreck a boxwood base round here.

Seems this is purchasing poor work.

That was a $20 nursery boxwood in the spring of 2020 that wouldn't have been worth that purchase IMO. Except to jagflip to newbs, but that's a douchemove. If we want them to learn we should steer them to the nursery to practice on 3 things for the same price.

Sorce

Drewski

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Apologies to the OP for an on topic hijacking. 😊

I found a couple of old boxwoods at a local nursery a couple of days ago. They were approximately 14” to 20” tall, and had some great looking bark. The trunks were probably close to 2” thick. Unfortunately the branches were mostly coming out of whorls. The pruning required to reduce the whorls down to one branch coming out of the trunk would remove a significant portion of the foliage. I’ve been wondering whether boxwoods will backbud on older barked up wood.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know some others have stated that boxwood might not back bud. This has not been my experience and I find that that back bud for me nearly beyond reason, very much like an azalea.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying not to sound dickish....

For me, the old nursery colored mess around the center is a clue the roots weren't in fact worked, though I understand how someone who does good work can make the assumption.

The location of tie wires indicates the roots may have all been cut off, without the care to even clean the base of stuff that will wreck a boxwood base round here.

Seems this is purchasing poor work.

That was a $20 nursery boxwood in the spring of 2020 that wouldn't have been worth that purchase IMO. Except to jagflip to newbs, but that's a douchemove. If we want them to learn we should steer them to the nursery to practice on 3 things for the same price.

Sorce

Not taken as dickish.....but I was speaking of worked material vs nursery material in general, not that particular boxwood. To choose worked material over nursery material, one should be looking for worked roots (done better than that I agree), base and trunk. That saves time and to me is worth the expense.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with @BrianBay9 here.
While the roots may not have been properly sorted at least the massive nursery pot roots have been reduced to fit a shallower pot so that's one part of the process - and one that scares many beginners - done for us.
A question that has not been asked is how long ago was that root prune done? Has the tree recovered properly or will it still need special care? I have seen stock like this converted from nursery stock and sold on the club trading table the next day for a quick profit. Not saying everyone does, just something to be aware of and check.

Nursery stock can be cheaper but needs more input and a slight risk. Some people are happy with that while others are wiling to pay extra for the tree that someone else has done some of the next steps. Whether it is worth the extra depends on the price increase over raw stock and how confident the buyer is.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not taken as dickish.....but I was speaking of worked material vs nursery material in general, not that particular boxwood. To choose worked material over nursery material, one should be looking for worked roots (done better than that I agree), base and trunk. That saves time and to me is worth the expense.

Amen, boxwood is an outlier.

Sorce

Top Bottom