Cracked pot repair?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anthony, your repaired pot just looks like a repaired pot.

Kintsugi looks like a repaired pot, but rather than trying to pretend it never happened, it enhances it. It draws attention to the fact that the owner valued the pot enough to have it repaired with gold!

Wabi sabe.
Not really. Depends on the pot. Lipstick on a pig is lipstick on pig. Sometimes (mostly) it's not worth the trouble to repair a completely busted pot. They're mostly useless as functional pots and an ostentatious repair on a mediocre pot is not worth displaying. ;-)

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not really. Depends on the pot. Lipstick on a pig is lipstick on pig. Sometimes (mostly) it's not worth the trouble to repair a completely busted pot. They're mostly useless as functional pots and an ostentatious repair on a mediocre pot is not worth displaying. ;-)
That’s true. I didn’t use gold to repair this one:
D4B825ED-675D-4052-AA47-207E045BC9F5.jpeg

Reaction score
Oh Maarten,o_O

you are as bad as my and K's mum, -------------- red nail polish
fixes everything :):):):):):):):):):)
Good Day
Anthony

Not everything, but at least this sticks back together ;)
Oh and the polish is actually more pearl colour, but the light doesn't really show that well

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seriously, is this an ostentatious repair on a mediocre pot?:

DA9BC544-62E0-4B72-8A8B-341B57D6DD97.jpeg

2F41BB87-8562-478D-8E7A-B9582CDD959D.jpeg

This is was still kinda is? a nice pot I purchased from Matt Ouwinga. So you know it wasn’t cheap. I tripped and fell when I was carrying it. The epoxy has made the repair very solid, and I think I could use it for a club show, at least.

I have another antique Chinese pot that Matt had sold to Doug Paul. As Matt was packing it up to take to Doug, he accidentally knocked the inside of the rim on something. A tiny piece chipped off. Unfortunately, Matt was in a hurry and didn’t search for he chip, and couldn’t find it later. This pot was worth North if $2000 in the prior mint condition, but now, it was seriously diminished. Matt sold it to me for essentially his cost for shipping.

When I get home, I’ll take a picture.

Now, this pot has a chip roughly the size of your little finger’s fingernail. It wouldn’t be very noticeable, except the patina is so good that the rim is virtually black. The spot where it’s chipped is the red clay color.

There are several options: 1) do nothing and use it; 2) put it outside, rub some dirt and walnut oil on it and hope for patina to develop; 3) try to color in patina with black Sharpie; 4) repair using Kintsugi (fake gold); 5) send to a professional Japanese Kintsugi artist to fill with real gold.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's one I got from Matt a couple of springs ago. One-off huge nanban that was busted in the shipping container. He was going to sell it at the Baltimore show in 2016. He doesn't import stuff much over 18 inches or so because of the danger.

I was at his place and saw this lying in a pile of pieces. Matt said I could have it for nothing as he had begun to put it back together but used the wrong kind of glue. I brought it home and used epoxy to repair it. Given that it is huge and the stress on the crack if it's filled with soil and tree it's iffy for use. I'm weathering it to see how the epoxy stands up. If it doesn't fall apart, I might use it for a big cedar elm I have. However, that's a big if. Seemed like a sin though to leave it be in a pile of pieces. It was a true work of art....potbig.jpgpotbotttom.jpgpotside.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I cannot seem to find the thread but if memory serves me correct @fredtruck posted a step by step along with materials used for a VERY professional pot repair awhile back. Hoping he can pipe in here :)

Grimmy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is some useful information on repairing ceramics. Even the best repair jobs won't return the pots to their previous utility. Maybe good for indoor or show use, but I wouldn't trust them in freezing temps.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is some useful information on repairing ceramics. Even the best repair jobs won't return the pots to their previous utility. Maybe good for indoor or show use, but I wouldn't trust them in freezing temps.
Thanks for posting that link.

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I’ve done the kintsugi repair as well

Attachments

• 058E0B41-A05C-4D67-96CA-EA69B030ADA2.jpeg
    058E0B41-A05C-4D67-96CA-EA69B030ADA2.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 1F88D295-4894-4D37-B235-04877BB84D19.jpeg
    1F88D295-4894-4D37-B235-04877BB84D19.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 21