Crape Myrtle Crazy

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I assume you haven't told her how much you pay for pots.... 😂 😂 😂

Let's just say it's a good thing I handle the finances and work from home - so I can quickly intercept packages and hide them in the shed where she's likely to never step foot.

I just had a new one show up yesterday from Red Wing, MN as a matter of fact. It's safely hidden away until next March.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Let's just say it's a good thing I handle the finances and work from home - so I can quickly intercept packages and hide them in the shed where she's likely to never step foot.

I just had a new one show up yesterday from Red Wing, MN as a matter of fact. It's safely hidden away until next March.
I burn the boxes before he gets home. FYI, don't burn the packing peanuts, they make too much smoke!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I can quickly intercept packages and hide them in the shed where she's likely to never step foot.

I am thinking more and more this is the key to bliss in the marriage and the hobby. When I started treating myself on the DL, I started treating my wife better (I was happier) and she stopped feeling resentful of the cost. The only thing that worries me is if it comes out - then the doghouse might start looking cozy in comparison to the s*** that would follow. Is it healthy to think this way? I mean, there are much worse habits that people keep secret from their significant others, but... :confused:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I am thinking more and more this is the key to bliss in the marriage and the hobby. When I started treating myself on the DL, I started treating my wife better (I was happier) and she stopped feeling resentful of the cost. The only thing that worries me is if it comes out - then the doghouse might start looking cozy in comparison to the s*** that would follow. Is it healthy to think this way? I mean, there are much worse habits that people keep secret from their significant others, but... :confused:
Lol, he knows I buy stuff, just try not to flaunt how much. It's never a big amount of money and I work so it's not a big deal. Just last weekend the UPS driver happened to pull into the yard when he was outside and in he walks with a big box from Wigert's. Never said a word.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hi, Ok looks likethe right place to ask I bought a crepe myrtle and I do not know what variety it is View attachment 381519View attachment 381519View attachment 381526

You have a crape myrtle.

You really need the tag, or label to know which of the hundreds of different cultivars available of crepe myrtles. Loosing the label is like loosing the pedigree papers of a dog. It might be a good dog, but it's worth no more than a mutt from the pound without the papers. There's are so many cultivars that are quite similar it is impossible to be certain which you have.

So just accept that you have a no name crape myrtle. Most species and hybrids have similar horticultural requirements. Just go with generic care. Sun and water, and protect from extreme cold.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi, Ok looks likethe right place to ask I bought a crepe myrtle and I do not know what variety it is View attachment 381519View attachment 381519View attachment 381526

No offense meant and I'm not trying to be a dick, but this thread probably isn't the place to ask. I use this thread to document my trees and it's not intended as a general crape myrtle discussion thread. I was probably guilty of this when I started too, but it's best to start your own thread. As has been mentioned already, this doesn't look like a crape myrtle to me.

I decided on a different front for the new tree after further examination.

20210620_131057.jpg

And a pic of the base. I think there will be more flare under there when I dig in next spring.

20210619_115806.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Interestingly, there are no flower buds yet. I figured I would see some letting it get this overgrown.
All three of mine are crazy overgrown and no flower buds for me yet either. Not even on the one in the landscape.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No offense meant and I'm not trying to be a dick, but this thread probably isn't the place to ask. I use this thread to document my trees and it's not intended as a general crape myrtle discussion thread. I was probably guilty of this when I started too, but it's best to start your own thread. As has been mentioned already, this doesn't look like a crape myrtle to me.

View attachment 381961

And a pic of the base. I think there will be more flare under there when I dig in next spring.

View attachment 381962
Nice tree and speedy.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 381961

View attachment 381962
That is a fun tree you’ve got there! Very nice.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was out this afternoon doing some pruning on my big crape myrtle.

20210806_171334.jpg

And I noticed this.

20210806_171309.jpg

Looks like I will see a few flowers soon. This is kinda interesting because I've been pruning this regularly. Probably an anomoly but I may have to experiment with this a little.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fellow watch nerd?
Oh yeah. Not to get off thread, but Speed master is on my list of future watches(along with a dozen others). I’m sure you know the feeling trying to decide the “next watch”…

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yeah. Not to get off thread, but Speed master is on my list of future watches(along with a dozen others). I’m sure you know the feeling trying to decide the “next watch”…

Its ok - it's my thread so we can talk about whatever we want. I lusted over the Speedy for many years but could never bring myself to drop that kind of money on a watch. So, I went about collecting Seikos, Hamiltons and a bunch of affordable and mid tier stuff. Then I looked at my bloated collection a couple years ago and realized I could get the Speedy by selling and consolidating. So I did and couldn't be happier with that decision.

Top Bottom