Crape Myrtle update.

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to post a progress report on my 6 yo crape.
IMG_20130919_093050_500.jpg
Late summer..before chop.
IMG_20131010_092625_178.jpg
As it is today. Moved it to a sunnier location after the late summer chop and after really cleaning up the roots. Its early fall here, is it to late (or to soon after chop) to feed this guy. I've had it 5 years now, and believe me, and sad to say, this is the healthiest it's been in years.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
In my experience, it is waaaay too late or waaay to early to have done either of those procedures. The tree is preparing for its winter nap and is not ready to grow a new top or roots. This is usually done in late winter or early spring, at or right before bud-break.

John

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In my experience, it is waaaay too late or waaay to early to have done either of those procedures. The tree is preparing for its winter nap and is not ready to grow a new top or roots.

I'd seal the chop. This work is pretty untimely, but other than slowing it down a little, shouldn't harm the tree. (Crapes are TOUGH! I've got a monster that sat for over a year w/o foliage that's just started sprouting.) If you baby it, YOU *MIGHT* have time for this growth to harden off.

Deadwood

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there any common item (parrafin) that i could use a an emergency sealer...I'm not overly worried about the tree. This was it's last chance before compost.
BTW, to clear any confusion it was chopped in late summer.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have read Elmers water proof wood glue works pretty well....? I hope that wasn't a joke posted here cause that is what I used on my collected yaupon hollies.

Brian

Top Bottom