crape myrtle wilting

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One thing to keep in mind is that the tree's been through significant stress. If it were mine I'd wait until next year for any major work, and limit what I did to (light) feeding and watering, and some trimming if it tries to get too far out of hand.

Zach

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Planning on just letting it grow, not doing any work on it till next year. My guess at this point is fungal, or some reaction to the MG/HA combo. I'll probably never know. Thanks for the thoughts and help all.

jefffrolc

Seed
Reaction score
I just started having the same problem. Three days ago, the tree looked great. Now almost every leave has curled and dropped. Still green under the branches if I scrape off the bark.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is low turgor/ water pressure
I had that when pruning back the roots too much
Leaves hang in the afternoon and stand up again over night
Though they never recovered their full strength and glossiness
Ask yourself why the roots cant take up enough moisture

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My crape myrtle is the biggest drama queen when it comes to water. Maybe not the thirstiest of my trees, but the one most likely to swoon if it goes a bit long between waterings. When I'm watering my trees and its being dramatic, if I water it first, before I'm finished watering all my trees it has noticeably perked up.

All that said, if you're watering sufficiently, and the tree is doing this, you've got a root issue. They move water pretty quickly so it could be as simple as watering more often. I'd also consider a bit more shade and maybe a layer of sphagnum moss ...and make sure that this one gets a thorough examining in spring time when its safe to repot. (Another note, my crape myrtle is one of the last to leaf out particularly after years where it has been weak heading into fall, ...so you may think its dead next spring but don't toss it.)

Top Bottom