Crataegus phaenopyrum 'Washington Hawthorn'

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Have always loved the look of Hawthorns for some reason. I picked an inexpensive sapling to see if I can keep it alive here.

Does anyone have any experience with this species? Does anyone know how suitable for bonsai culture they are?

I cut the tap root down to three inches and stuffed it in a 3.75" pot and then potted up the tap root in another pot. The tap root has already thrown three branches that are about two inches long. Now I have two of them. :D

So far I LOVE this tree! I love the shape of the leaves and to this point they are very small. The growth appears very twiggy. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been wanting a few of these to put into the ground,ive heard they are a little faster growing and hardier then some of the cultivators out there,i have a pauls scarlet,and im still waiting for some decent branch growth,it was purchased as a four inch pot from Brent,it puts out stubs instead of a nice long branch,i guess its still to young,maybe things will change this year.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Root cuttings seem to strike quite well on these. When you are root pruning your Paul's look for a root that is bigger than a pencil just pot it up. Maybe we can work out a trade come fall.

Top Bottom