Critique this blue atlas im considering purchasing

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Youre a hard man Pot.
Wouldnt it bother you that making an offer that low would be like punching the seller in the face (which i find disturbingly funny).
Anything so ridiculously priced would not bother to even see it. Seller needs to see reality though. Being ignored is great hint. Personally have several Yamadori cost MUCH less and worth far more!

Asymetrix

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is a nice tree that has seen some contemplation and care but possibly falls short in some areas. My opinion and I'll state it's still way more developed than my evergreens so with a grain of salt.

The shape and bends in the trunk are a bit "s" shaped, though not totally artificial looking by any means. Perhaps easily corrected with changes to front and angle.

As you pointed out it doesn't have totally radial branches but again most likely corrected with a slight restyle.

What I find distracting is the first branch. It just sticks off that bend like someone was told it was a rule to put it there. I'm not sure it has to be part of the final design and it contributes to for me at least another major visual flaw which is it's quite symmetrical.

Can't really see the roots but they look decent, and a nice flare.

I feel like the asking price is way too high. Is that USD? I feel like 1200 possibly 1300. 1500 if you are in love with it?

Just my opinion and it is based on limited experience with the bonsai market.

I read somewhere you can never charge enough to really justify the care and time they require.

However if it's not top notch or has the potential to be (as could be agreed upon by most experienced bonsai practicians) than that value is very subjective regardless of sellers personal feelings.

Cool tree though thanks for posting. I think a great acquisition if they come down on price.

Reaction score
Throw a thumb over all that tacky shit at the base. Increase by $1,000 instantly!

Wrong pot, rocks to orange, the pot moss is to bright and different from the tree base moss.
It's jarringly ugly.

But the tree is nice.

Sorce
Yeah, he hasnt got much of an eye for setting the painting in the right frame.
Shit pot, rock needs to be thrown through a window to get SOME use out of it and i hate moss with pines...you're right, that's $1000 off already 😁

Reaction score
I think it is a nice tree that has seen some contemplation and care but possibly falls short in some areas. My opinion and I'll state it's still way more developed than my evergreens so with a grain of salt.

The shape and bends in the trunk are a bit "s" shaped, though not totally artificial looking by any means. Perhaps easily corrected with changes to front and angle.

As you pointed out it doesn't have totally radial branches but again most likely corrected with a slight restyle.

What I find distracting is the first branch. It just sticks off that bend like someone was told it was a rule to put it there. I'm not sure it has to be part of the final design and it contributes to for me at least another major visual flaw which is it's quite symmetrical.

Can't really see the roots but they look decent, and a nice flare.

I feel like the asking price is way too high. Is that USD? I feel like 1200 possibly 1300. 1500 if you are in love with it?

Just my opinion and it is based on limited experience with the bonsai market.

I read somewhere you can never charge enough to really justify the care and time they require.

However if it's not top notch or has the potential to be (as could be agreed upon by most experienced bonsai practicians) than that value is very subjective regardless of sellers personal feelings.

Cool tree though thanks for posting. I think a great acquisition if they come down on price.
Thank you Asymetrix...a very honest,well thought out answer - appreciate it.

Reaction score
Anything so ridiculously priced would not bother to even see it. Seller needs to see reality though. Being ignored is great hint. Personally have several Yamadori cost MUCH less and worth far more!
Brutally honest....i like that!
A lot of sellers here in Australia need to see reality. We basically get ripped off down here being miles away from the rest of the world.
After enquiring around it seems the asking price for this tree is very resonable here in Oz...its crazy.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brutally honest....i like that!
A lot of sellers here in Australia need to see reality. We basically get ripped off down here being miles away from the rest of the world.
After enquiring around it seems the asking price for this tree is very resonable here in Oz...its crazy.
We have a similar issue here in the U.S. The west coast is the bonsai mecca of the U.S. Lots of suppliers and competition compared to the east coast so prices tend to be higher on the east coast

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That price is way too high in my ears. For that amount of money you can buy a show winning juniper or pine in Europe. But I dont know the prices in your area.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The tree is not terrible for future.. but at this price I’d expect it to have older bark, developed branches .. it’s not very big , bark is not showing age, branching is not fully developed even though structure is decent. It lacks the refinement, or age / special characteristics you’d want a tree that is at asking price. Also wrong pot/ dumb rock is a minus $700on value…

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Keep in mind that $2100 Australian is about $1500 US dollars, but I still wouldn’t hit the buy button, but I’m cheap!

Reaction score
I pulled out of the sale....there's just no way i will pay $2000 (yes,he'd only reduce it by $100 😒).
Due to his generous discount, I politely directed him to a few reasons why the tree isnt worth that...there was silence on the other end of the phone, all i could hear was breathing 😄
I wished him a good day and ended the call.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I pulled out of the sale....there's just no way i will pay $2000 (yes,he'd only reduce it by $100 😒).
Due to his generous discount, I politely directed him to a few reasons why the tree isnt worth that...there was silence on the other end of the phone, all i could hear was breathing 😄
I wished him a good day and ended the call.
God decision. That tree is not worth $1400 US. I'd have a hard time paying $500 for it. Some sellers (who are selling trees they made) tremendously overvalue them. Don't know if that's the case here, but it smells like it.

Top Bottom