Cutting off box tops.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Won this too tall boxwood at the GSBF convention last week. Started it on its way to bonsaihood this morning. I will post to this thread as it progresses in the future.

Attachments

• boxwood3 003.jpg
    boxwood3 003.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 86
  • boxwood3 002.jpg
    boxwood3 002.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 79
  • boxwood3 004.jpg
    boxwood3 004.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 77
  • boxwood3 005.jpg
    boxwood3 005.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 85

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh, that's a nice one Paul. I like the structure that you have to build on. Too many of these don't have anything but a nice trunk.
Will look forward to updates.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Great restart!

Sorce

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't think I would have been so aggressive. Maybe only cutting back the taller trunk. Box are very slow growing. How long do you think until you grow back an apex? Do you have a plan for how it will look?

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I don't think I would have been so aggressive. Maybe only cutting back the taller trunk. Box are very slow growing. How long do you think until you grow back an apex? Do you have a plan for how it will look?

On the contrary, boxwoods grow like weeds and backbud vigorously when well fed. I expect new shoots to be 1 - 1 1/2 feet long next year when they will be wired for movement. Plan is for a naturalistic live - oak style with a wide, rounded outline. This tree could be ready to show in five years.

Top Bottom