Deciding on slant...and canopy.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here it is in all it's glory...I've been defoliating the leaves when the get on the larger size. (Seller of the Bougie stated it helps push growth for these guys. And I am seeing more push with shoots starting to grow.

Now...I had once thought to have the canopy extending over the base of the tree. Thus I let the tree grow out to visualize it. I now think the trunk just doesn't have the girth to carry it off. Being on the thin side.

imagejpg2_zpsd272722b.jpg

Then I contemplated weeping since I had two longer braches...but I fall back on...my trunk seems to thin to pull off.

imagejpg1_zps6e136314.jpg

So I am considering raising the slant...since it's almost at a semi cascade point now. But where to cut off those long branches? It's most likely not a huge a deal as I am making it...since I have other branches growing out.
bb446b5d-df3b-4849-acb9-0bd81c997576_zpsd14a7a66.jpg

Thinking this was meant for a slant...

71316a7a-f227-4d29-a666-a95ab2bbadf6_zps9434d5ca.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I'm not as familiar with bougie as I used to as I'm trying to stay within my region for tree's now. Though if there permanent branches I would wire them now as their branch are ridiculous brittle in short order. And I do like the slant. Guess that's my .02:p

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the virt canopy.

Darlene.

No offense. I may be wrong. It seems like you are in a place I was last year. Always defoliating and pruning!

Of course it doesn't help that sellers seem to usually recommend "finished" techniques for prebonsai.

My windowsill situation requires me to keep stuff pruned or it will fall. But this year, I bought some nice KANESHIN round concave cutters and vowed not to use them! Everything grew so well they almost all took the three story plunge. Still, they are doing better than last year. And oddly, I am happy they fall cuz I know I'm sticking to my intention.

I read or watched a video where Ryan Neil talked on pines about letting them grow, the extreme sap flow and health causes backbudding. This kind of clicked it for me...just let them grow!

Rambling aside. (Sarcasm warning) Have hubby build you a lock box for your shears next year in that cold greenhouse!

I think you will love the outcome as I have...(extreme sarcasm warning) when my hubby built one for me! Lol

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the virt canopy.

Darlene.

No offense. I may be wrong. It seems like you are in a place I was last year. Always defoliating and pruning!

Of course it doesn't help that sellers seem to usually recommend "finished" techniques for prebonsai.

My windowsill situation requires me to keep stuff pruned or it will fall. But this year, I bought some nice KANESHIN round concave cutters and vowed not to use them! Everything grew so well they almost all took the three story plunge. Still, they are doing better than last year. And oddly, I am happy they fall cuz I know I'm sticking to my intention.

I read or watched a video where Ryan Neil talked on pines about letting them grow, the extreme sap flow and health causes backbudding. This kind of clicked it for me...just let them grow!

Rambling aside. (Sarcasm warning) Have hubby build you a lock box for your shears next year in that cold greenhouse!

I think you will love the outcome as I have...(extreme sarcasm warning) when my hubby built one for me! Lol

Sorce
Points well taken...;)
I must say...this is the only one I really tried defoliation with for I had many branches not doing anything and just these two long vines having a field day. (I have five total bougainvilleas counting cuttings pushing growth)Thought it wouldn't hurt to try to get it to do something. Those long branches are from me not touching it since it arrived here at my home a year ago. No trimming at all. On a side not...the branches that have stayed somewhat dormant and not growing...are seemingly pushing growth now. He said it would...I don't plan to continue to do the defoliation...It was worth it to try and get those other branches to jump start growth. (Maybe I should have cut them long branches back a long time ago...I wasn't sure if I didn't want a canopy that came over the entire slanting trunk...so I let them grow. I still may let it become that full. B

So canopy...thanks. I don't think the thin trunk could pull the weeping realistically. But, you think I shouldn't prune those long branches back for more ramification...just no more ramification...gotcha. It did help get those other branches to push growth...which I really was becoming nervous with. They had leaves...but never grew where I could see it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good morning early bird!

Great growth on those branches in that case!

I would let it go till you get the thick you want.
Really love where this one is going.

Also. The other piece of advice I find always ringing in my head was from Judy.
No cutting after July (or that's the date I put on it. Close)

Thanks for that Judy! I will likely get through this winter well due to this! Lotta energy!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good morning early bird!

Great growth on those branches in that case!

I would let it go till you get the thick you want.
Really love where this one is going.

Also. The other piece of advice I find always ringing in my head was from Judy.
No cutting after July (or that's the date I put on it. Close)

Thanks for that Judy! I will likely get through this winter well due to this! Lotta energy!

Sorce
I was up at 3:30 thanks to the dog needing out, once up,I can't fall back to sleep...I'm up typically by 5:30am. Just my body is set to that time. Even on vacation.

That is a good note worthy to remember...no cutting after July. Thanks for passing along the tip! So the grow and clip verses the clip and grow. Yes, I was wondering if I should go that route with it. Thanks guess I will. Since...it's grown this long. I will need to slip some wire on it...crazy it seems still flexible. Curious if it's because it is the thornless variety.

Thanks for the kind words with the tree.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You have the beginning of a very nice little shohin Bougie here. Don't overthink what the tree wants to do.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 18

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You have the beginning of a very nice little shohin Bougie here. Don't overthink what the tree wants to do.

Agreed! And thanks for the kind words. My love of weeping...seeing the long branches made me contemplate for a nanosecond. But, I just kept thinking...this is not what the tree is telling me. Listen to the tree...it is showing me what it wants to be if I but listen. Thus I thought to double check before at some point most likely come spring those long branches are trimmed back. (From the no cutting after July rule I hadn't known about) I do agree with your virt. Thanks...for also taking the time to create one. That looks better than my drawn triangle. ;)

Top Bottom