Deodar cedar

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
New acquisition: deodar cedar.

Chopped the top and wired a new leader in its place for now. Trimmed some primaries. Done for now. This is going to be really nice.

59FEA702-711F-4304-AD6D-D5AD81C06F3C.jpeg8A5C7BF9-7F05-45CF-85DC-076D300E72FF.jpeg

Gr8tfuldad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice tree! I picked 1 up 2 years ago from Home Depot during Christmas for $100. It was 6’, but labeled as dwarf topping out at 12’. Anyone ever see dwarf ones?

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's looking good!

I bought one on sale a few years back thinking it was a good project even though it had no obvious bonsai qualities like taper, curves, branches in the right place. It was essentially a telephone pole but it was on sale and I'm a sucker for a project.

I tried to air layer it. It took a season just to create calluses and a few beginnings of roots. It never made it and the health of the tree declined. I was not the most attentive caretaker.

Yours looks much healthier and has lots more promise. One thing I did learn was the needles don't reduce in size much so a bigger size bonsai is probably a good plan.

PowerTap

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They have time massive ceaders (probably 100 yrs old) at my son's daycare and I've always liked the look of them.

Good luck, and you're made a nice start.

Top Bottom