Diary of a Noob

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There was a recent thread about how to help beginners. I figured I would chronicle my own journey as a way to help others.

I will start with a little back story. This is my second attempt at starting the hobby. The first time I bought a “kit” to grow a bonsai from seed. It failed to even germinate. My brother in law gave me a jade that basically became a house plant until it died from aphids.

Fast forward a decade I had a mallsai juniper for 3 years. I was totally ignorant and kept it on my kitchen table. It barley grew (shocker) and I never did anything but water it. When I decided it was time to put it in an actual bonsai pot it was then I did research on the internet and realized I had don’t everything wrong. Fast forward 6 months and the juniper is dead but replaced by 5 more trees.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
AD9F924F-1C66-40AC-9DEE-ECFB9C5A3933.jpeg
This Ficus Benjamina and Fukien tea where my next purchases. I potted them up to help them grow bigger. They moved into my basement in the late fall with a grow light. I dealt with fungus gnats which ultimately killed my Fukien tea as I underwatered them in an attempt to kill the gnats. The gnats died but I lost a tree as well.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In part of battling the gnats I repotted the ficus into a bonsai pot with better free draining soil. It has faltered since then but is surviving. The basement is likely too cold hovering in the mid to low 60s to allow for good growth. Growing bonsai inside is generally discouraged but is doable with tropicals. However it can be tough to get the environment right. If it can thrive this summer outside, I hope to prune it at some point this growing season if it is strong enough.

Attachments

• EE3570CC-711D-4768-AB18-13D4D134B54D.jpeg
    EE3570CC-711D-4768-AB18-13D4D134B54D.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 90

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
148C5BE4-744D-4826-987C-8E0B7BE66859.jpeg4B7914DA-6546-438F-B495-EC1AD9ACA1C0.jpeg
This was my next purchase. A dwarf Austrian pine from a local landscape nursery. I was eager to use my new tools and attempt to style something. My education at this time was limited to reading some online resources and a handful of YouTube videos. In retrospect I would have never purchased this tree. It was tough due to all the branches to see much of the tree so I got sucked in by the thick trunk. Unfortunately all the branching coming from only a few whorls created terrible swelling at the first whorl. As a result I hid this structural flaw in the back of the tree. This will likely continue to be an issue as the bar branching will again exacerbate this problem in the future. Also the second half of the trunk is way thinner than the bottom with no smooth taper. I have embraced this tree though as an opportunity to practice some techniques for future better trees.

Drew_BC_Canada

Seedling
Reaction score
View attachment 425401View attachment 425402
This was my next purchase. A dwarf Austrian pine from a local landscape nursery. I was eager to use my new tools and attempt to style something. My education at this time was limited to reading some online resources and a handful of YouTube videos. In retrospect I would have never purchased this tree. It was tough due to all the branches to see much of the tree so I got sucked in by the thick trunk. Unfortunately all the branching coming from only a few whorls created terrible swelling at the first whorl. As a result I hid this structural flaw in the back of the tree. This will likely continue to be an issue as the bar branching will again exacerbate this problem in the future. Also the second half of the trunk is way thinner than the bottom with no smooth taper. I have embraced this tree though as an opportunity to practice some techniques for future better trees.
Looks great!

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Late in the fall I picked up some additional trees and made a makeshift bench. I got the shimpaku juniper and trident maple for relatively cheap at the local bonsai club show. The juniper has some decent strength and I hope to repot it this spring in a pot a obtained from the same show. The plan is to make a literati. I would like to put some more movement into the trunk since it is quite boring. The trident I plan to make into a root over rock since the nebari is very vertical instead of lateral. The dwarf Alberta spruce was picked up from lowes dirt cheap. After doing my homework I found out they aren’t great for bonsai. However like my pine it will provide an opportunity to practice. I’m trying to decide if I will repot this spring or attempt to style into a formal upright.

Attachments

• 68892BE8-195E-427B-9668-6F4F94FE8C74.jpeg
    68892BE8-195E-427B-9668-6F4F94FE8C74.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 111

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
02BDAB83-2AFB-402A-B496-A8358EDC1DB6.jpeg0A9D82E5-E69D-4370-AEA4-7F2880653635.jpegC5FAB7A4-8551-4106-9184-377AF2825549.jpeg
I was overly concerned about the cold Michigan winters so after a lot of research I heeled them into the ground. Covered them with a few inches of mulch and surrounded them with a burlap wind screen. So far they all appeared to have survived. Over winter since there wasn’t much to do for the trees I subscribed to Mirai Live and watched tons of videos while taking notes. I feel like I have a very strong beginner base of knowledge both in bonsai techniques and horticulture this year to work with. I’m extremely eager for spring to hit so I can do some work and buy some new trees. I’ve also signed up for a workshop in may at the state bonsai show nearby. That is what I’m most looking forward too as I’ll get some real instruction and another shimpaku juniper to style!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
View attachment 425401View attachment 425402
Nice pine mate, is grafted? is very well disguised if it is

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice pine mate, is grafted? is very well disguised if it is
Thanks. I’m not sure. I’ll have to take a closer look. Also if all goes well I’ll repot it in 2023 and hopefully find a larger base with a buttress. It also needs some work decreasing the branches with three pruned back to two. I’m considering doing that before the spring push but am a little concerned as I reduced the foliage so heavily last fall.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
5AEBE2AB-A847-4C7C-8DA7-3F19F39DD5BB.jpeg
My most recent project is another deep discount juniper I picked up after Christmas. Again I was eager to practice my improved wiring knowledge. I had to clean it up a bit then practiced some structural wiring. I was disappointed by how little movement I got on the trunk so later I added a guy wire. I like the movement78511934-9931-4752-AFDA-A6384B70F871.png438A651B-15AE-45A0-A1BA-8255A8968F28.jpeg in the trunk better but the rest of the tree is now a mess. I still haven’t decided what direction this will go. I may plant it in the ground and thicken it substantially. I might create some cuttings and start some material from scratch. I’m also considering making two trees by air layering off the top half.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After a couple weeks of running the space heater in my basement room that houses the ficus for a few hours each day to bring to temp from the mid 60s to low/mid 70s the ficus has finally started to leaf out again. I still don’t plan to touch it until summer at earliest to let it regain strength. I’m hoping it grows vigorously this summer when it can be outside!

Attachments

• 627F0272-D08F-4EAC-9334-043BD7CD84B9.jpeg
    627F0272-D08F-4EAC-9334-043BD7CD84B9.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 54
  • 57CED57D-2958-451D-B3A0-E0F7E87B74C2.jpeg
    57CED57D-2958-451D-B3A0-E0F7E87B74C2.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 48

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
BCB6081E-DFA5-4940-96E1-C504E977F1EA.jpeg105489A5-1230-492D-A6BE-CEA301E9661F.jpeg
Repot of my Alberta spruce didn’t go as smoothly as envisioned. You can find a larger breakdown of the process and pics here:

https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/imminent-death-post-first-nursery-stock-repot.54845/

TLDR: It had less roots than anticipated. I cut the single large structural tap root that had circled back upward. I unintentionally took it to a near bare root. Hoping it survives.

All that said I am pleased with the overall outcome and got some valuable learning experience. I had fun doing it and enjoy the looks of the final product. At the end of the day it’s a hobby and is supposed to be enjoyable. I hope it survives and with any luck can style it next growing season.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
24FFBF73-4B80-4A6B-8519-528565140581.jpegE0057A2E-1690-470F-BE49-ACC744112565.jpegC37704C5-F8B2-4107-AECB-4565058E2F39.jpeg
Repotted this double trunk Colorado blue spruce about a week ago I picked up from Lowe’s. Still trying to figure out how aggressively to work the roots on conifers. Hoping this survives as I like it’s potential. I’ve been moving it in my garage on the cold nights and putting it in indirect sun during the day. Same treatment has been provided to the Alberta spruce. The weather has been up a down with snow the last couple days but temps in the 70s expected this weekend.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
4904C85F-DA50-4C3F-8540-DA3799D6DCE7.jpegB49B5C37-2963-4730-ABA2-2F49A5AA93EC.jpegAAD777F7-FD43-458A-9CCB-820F34E4D2D3.jpeg
My first attempt at a root over rock. Carefully bare rooted this trident maple I picked up from a bonsai dealer at the local club show last fall. I was surprised after dealing with only nursery stock how many fine roots this had growing in proper bonsai soil. I did my best securing the roots in place with raffia and secured the rock deep in the pot to hopefully get good roots gripping the rock. The original roots were very vertical so I figured I’d give it a shot.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
FA91EB84-CD70-4A9C-9E60-FF44A55CA07B.jpegEB4B6061-A0BA-4ABD-BDC3-3D8148195471.jpeg
Saved my tree with perhaps the most promise for my best and only handmade pot. Bought them both from the local bonsai club show last fall. I think this repot was my best work thus far as the tree is very secure in the pot which is good because I went a little extreme in the potting angle. On second thought I wish the angle was a little less severe but I might really love it if I can manage to introduce a larger bend into that first curve.

MSU JBoots

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
96BBF4BA-D389-4626-BAB7-F5ED90D8BD29.jpeg
My second hand bench in all its “glory”. I genuinely enjoy my collection except for that monstrosity on the right. I have a lot of thinking to do about what direction to take that thing. Might go into the ground to get a thick trunk or air layer off the top for a much shorter tree with better movement.

Top Bottom