Dieter Rams doing Bonsai

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a clip of Dieter Rams (designer of Braun) doing bonsai. This is a clip from his documentary. It's only a small portion of him doing bonsai but nice to hear about the application of design in everything around us as the arts overlap and his discussion of fundamentals of good design. I think as artists, we can draw from many influences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGPIqGi7MWY&feature=related

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This guy looks like a orchestra conductor the way he is waving around those sheers, thumbs up on showmanship. I say this with tongue in cheek...with his type of money, he could definitely upgrade his choice of stock.

For me, he has not bridged the gap between household appliances and bonsai.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I wasted your time with the video clip. I would like to see what he can do with better stock or how he would critique a world class tree. His trees didn't impress me as much as his ideas of design. As an artist/illustrator, but very much a beginner in bonsai, I know I will call upon that experience when working with trees. I'm still learning how to get from point A to point B and hopefully on to Z someday to hopefully realize my goals and visions, trying to sponge as much horticulture knowledge as I can on the way. I feel that looking elsewhere around us besides at good bonsai such as fleeting moments passing by forests, old neighborhoods, or any elements of design can further the art.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dieter has apparently been doing bonsai for about 10 minutes. Nothing wrong with that. He's a beginner. What is surprising is that his vaunted design sense seems to have wilted when faced with bonsai (a flat topped maple??:D:eek:)...., or at least he has the same rudimentary design capabilities that every beginner has :D Given that he is a "name" in the design world, you'd expect a little more of the "vision" thing happening...

It just shows me that even the most skilled Western designer/artist can be flummoxed when it comes to bonsai. Dieter, like a lot of folks, gets all wrapped up in the "Japanese-ness" crappola ("birds fly through--great huh?") and misses the actual art/design concepts involved.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe he's never been exposed to Walter's trees to see that there is more than just Japanese design.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
He's obviously not seen Walter's trees--or even really good Japanese trees. His "vision" is still firmly based mallsai cliche...it's kind of surprising that an award-winning, groundbreaking, renowned designer completely misses (or is completely unaware of) bonsai design/art/...

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plus he speaks with such confidence, almost with an arrogant tone. People like that intrigue me (not because of their arrogance) but because of their background...just wondering if with a little research and exposure to the world of bonsai on their part, how they can or would apply it to bonsai.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai art is based in a whole universe of Asian, and particularly Japanese, art.

Japanese art has had a profound impact not only on Western artists, but designers. It's not unknown territory. This guy should be acquainted with it in more than a passing way.

Other designers certainly were:
http://www.wrightinjapan.org/

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely Wright was. The entire arts and crafts/prairie/mission style was. Look at Greene and Greene too. Japan had influence on European design as well. I'm willing to bet the early California Tonalists were influenced by Japan as well.

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not to mention some of the great woodworkers of our time including Krenov and Maloof.

Mojosan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you guys are being a little hard on ol Dieter. He's a hobbyist. Nothing in that clip led me to believe anything different. And there are all levels of hobbyists, no?

Top Bottom