Digging up Saskatoon…worth it or leave it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My thoughts as well - especially for a beginner. You would likely have to build some kind of custom box for this beast. It might have been worth it if those larger trunks were still alive and had some more movement. That was a saskatoon serviceberry, right (Amelanchier)? If so, those can make decent bonsai - especially for your climate. So you are on the right track!

Take a look at those apple trees that the previous owners wrote about and see if there are any good spots for airlayers. Apple trees often have twisty, gnarled branches that make for nice airlayer-to-bonsai transitions.
I had no idea what a "Saskatoon" was. Thanks. It an Amelanchier, or as they're called down here a "shadblow" or "shadbush" (they come in bloom when the shad make their run from the Atlantic up the James River and other east coast rivers-similar to salmon). They're also called serviceberry because (supposedly) when they're in bloom, the snow had melted enough in Appalachian passes to allow traveling preachers to make their rounds to hold services for the locals, or that the ground had thawed enough to allow the dead to be buried and for preachers to hold services for them. It's in the rose family (As apples are).

Fair to middling as bonsai. Branching isn't dense enough really, but it does bloom.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I had no idea what a "Saskatoon" was. Thanks. It an Amelanchier, or as they're called down here a "shadblow" or "shadbush" (they come in bloom when the shad make their run from the Atlantic up the James River and other east coast rivers-similar to salmon). They're also called serviceberry because (supposedly) when they're in bloom, the snow had melted enough in Appalachian passes to allow traveling preachers to make their rounds to hold services for the locals, or that the ground had thawed enough to allow the dead to be buried and for preachers to hold services for them. It's in the rose family (As apples are).

Fair to middling as bonsai. Branching isn't dense enough really, but it does bloom.

Around here we call them, "Nice! Hey look guys, ServiceBerries!" - Gobble gobble

🤣🤣🤣

BuffaloinAB

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Awesome thank you all! Ive got plenty to work toward it seems :D Definatly going to attemt airlayering this spring on both species and see what i can all learn from that! They are allready there so, may as well practice 😬😅 Sounds tad more manageable then digging

Top Bottom