Disenchanted

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are a better Mom than I... ;)

I agree. From now on Irene I nominate you to answer each and every newbie post that comes down the pike. I already have done my share. You have about 7 or 8 years of catching up to do :D

Good luck, Al

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
The issues I am starting to have are the following:

No one seems to want to give help. Well I deffinatley shouldnt say no one.

Reading only gets you so far. And I am going to join the local bonsai club when they have their next meeting, if I dont have to work.

Bill, some people just look and make comments. They don't or can't give help. As far as joining a club - that would be a good move. Perhaps ask for that day or evening off if you feel it is important to learn about bonsai.

I never realized how ego driven most bonsaists are. I thought bonsai was supposed to be relaxing and introspective. Seems to me more people would post pics of their trees if they didnt feel like they were going to be attacked by the all mightly gods of bonsai.

Isn't everything ego driven? Bonsai is to one person what it is. To you it's introspective. Follow your own path as to what it means.

All I ask for is constructive critism. I know I have crap stock. I dont know about anyone else but I dont understand learning on an expensive piece of stock. I personally would rather kill a $1 tree over a $100.00 tree.

You stand to learn a whole lot more killing a $100 tree that you will killing 100 $1 trees. That is the best advice I can give you.

If there is something wrong with a tree, say your piece, and explain whats wrong. Dont make a blanket statement; its a stick in a pot, why are you messing with that crap. Just throw that away.

I am not attacking anyone. Life is to short to be bothered with that.
Just seems to me that it wouldnt be hard to be constructive.

With all due respect don't tell me how to comment. It's my opinion but your tree. Perhaps it's not worth the commenters time to write what would be a chapter in a book explaining what the issues are. IF over time you don't like what a particular member has to say then block them.

I have seen a lot of trees on this and other sites, and I serious have no clue why that tree is any better than the crap stock that I have. Is it the name that is attached to the post that makes it a good piece of stock? Or that I dont have my own line of pots or run my own bonsai site.

Seriously - if you have no clue as to what makes one tree better than another besides your insinuation of the owners name or brand pot or such then you have a lot to learn. I suggest you spend plenty of free time reading books on bonsai and going to workshops and club meetings.

I still email back and forth with a few bonsaists that I meet in Japan. I am not a name dropper, not that it matters who they are. I sent them all picks of my $1.00 Nana, and I got a ton of ideas and praise for saving the little tree. (not that I was looking for praise. Just help with my trees.)
Why is it that these guys that work on tons of trees, can find the time to point out whats wrong and whats good, what I need to do to fix the bad and what I need to do to enhance the good. But on here I feel like I am being looked down at, and I am not good enough to be bothered with.

Well good for you. Not sure why they offer up advice and help but I would be glad that they do so.

And frankly in defense of my $1.00 Nana. I think it has a lot of character and I think it will make a fine cascade one day. Will it win a contest? Who cares. Everything in life is not a contest. Some things are for the plain ol' joy of doing it.
Again, good for you.

I am glad you took the time to explain why you are disenchanted. You certainly have gotten a bunch of responses. Take from it what you want. Ignore what you want. Think global but act local (and by local I mean get involved with local bonsai people that you can see and interact with face to face). I wish you the best in bonsai.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No Al, it's just a certain air of "Je ne sais quoi" that comes off at times that thoroughly discusses me!

I could say the same of you but I have never felt a need to insult you. I take you mean disguist, as in I disguist you. Well you actually wrote it correct. We discuss here. Sometimes your discussion disguists me too, but I allow you your opinion please allow me mine. I don't speak French so I have no idea what that means.

Que Sera, Sera, Al

Boondock

Shohin
Reaction score
We are bonsaiNUT family
I got all my bonsai people with me
We are family
Get up ev'rybody and sing

Ev'ryone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(FLY!) and we fly just like leaves from a defoliated elm
I won't tell no lie
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say
Can bonsaiNut be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a bonsai family dose

Living life is fun and we've just begun to prune
To get our share of bonsai
(HIGH!) high hopes we have for the Juniper
And our goal's in sight
(WE!) no we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden bonsai rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong
This is our bonsaiNUT family jewel​

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could say the same of you but I have never felt a need to insult you. I take you mean disguist, as in I disguist you. Well you actually wrote it correct. We discuss here. Sometimes your discussion disguists me too, but I allow you your opinion please allow me mine. I don't speak French so I have no idea what that means.

Que Sera, Sera, Al

Sorry Al, I think there is only one "i" in disgust...

But that is not the point. The point is I find it disturbing that no matter what gets posted around here it regresses to the point of insults. For the umpteenth time, can't we all just get along???

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Al, I think there is only one "i" in disgust...

But that is not the point. The point is I find it disturbing that no matter what gets posted around here it regresses to the point of insults. For the umpteenth time, can't we all just get along???

I'm sorry I meant disguise as in what we do while on the internet. We portray somebody in disguise to exercise a little more power than we should.

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
We are bonsaiNUT family
I got all my bonsai people with me
We are family
Get up ev'rybody and sing

Ev'ryone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(FLY!) and we fly just like leaves from a defoliated elm
I won't tell no lie
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say
Can bonsaiNut be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a bonsai family dose

Living life is fun and we've just begun to prune
To get our share of bonsai
(HIGH!) high hopes we have for the Juniper
And our goal's in sight
(WE!) no we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden bonsai rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong
This is our bonsaiNUT family jewel​

yeah boondock you da man!

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
just my $0.02:
i am, and will probably always be, a lurker on these forums. i enjoy and research all the trees that i have, especially with new species to me. I go to club meetings, workshops, conventions, read magazines, books. But, the best info I get is from someone who has experience with the species i am working on.

That said, being labeled a "newbie" at a workshop or a meeting just because i am new to the area and don't know anyone disheartens me. I have been actively involved in bonsai for almost 30 years, have several trees from the "beginning". Where do you think all the masterpieces come from? they are not born a bonsai, they are seedlings, sprouts, potensai first. Just because you do not recognize me or socialize with me does not mean i have nothing to offer..... I am a keen observer: notice the eye rolling and the turning away when i, infrequently, try to offer an opinion. so i stopped. sit quietly and keep my mouth shut. how sad.

I encouraged my 11 year old nephew, out of state, who expressed a keen interest in bonsai to attend a convention near his house and a "beginners" workshop. He was brushed aside, ignored, and made to feel unwelcome. Sure he is young, not savvy, maybe unable to frame a question appropriately. but you know what? John Naka was 11 years old once. anyway, it worked. He turned his interest to reptiles.

Yes, I do have some "crap" trees. But, maybe, in 20 or 30 years they will be sitting in a national exhibit. The trees i have been working on for 20 years, I think, are beautiful. I will continue to trim, pinch and wire, and see potential or put them in the ground.

You have a marvelous forum here, i have learned alot and will continue learning. Even "masters" never stop learning. Trees never stop changing. Young artists will arrive and survive if nurtured. This is a peaceful and fulfilling art form that co-exists with horticulture, regional climates and "brotherhood". We can ALL learn and prosper by being approachable and congenial.

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cubbie,

Excellent 1st post! You make many valid points which should give all of us reason to stop and think about how we interact with fellow enthusiasts, however and wherever we meet them!

Thanks for the reminder!
Regards,
Martin

grog

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What disenchants me is posts like this getting more attention than those about trees. Debating things like ego and "truth" is an exercise in futility, you're not going to change someone's view on them by arguing about it.

Too bad we can't treat threads on here like trees. Threads regarding trees we'll put out on the display benches and those debating intangibles and/or personalities will get stuck in the dirt and forgotten or just tossed on the compost pile.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
What disenchants me is posts like this getting more attention than those about trees. Debating things like ego and "truth" is an exercise in futility, you're not going to change someone's view on them by arguing about it.

Too bad we can't treat threads on here like trees. Threads regarding trees we'll put out on the display benches and those debating intangibles and/or personalities will get stuck in the dirt and forgotten or just tossed on the compost pile.

Sometimes in every family the air needs to be cleaned up.

Mom

anttal63

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
im with you mum and sometimes one child needs a little more attention than another and in the end it all comes out in the wash and hopefully everyone is attended to. (sounds good)

Last edited:
Top Bottom